Tag Archives: Worsfold

Coats of Arms

This is list of people who either came from Mitcham or had some connection to it, and had their own coat of arms.

Descriptions are from the Surrey History Centre, Surrey Coat of Arms.

BIDDER
BRERETON
CAESAR
CRANMER
ELLINGWORTH
FARRANT
FENTON
FITZWILLIAM
GREENE
HARRINGTON
HEATH
HELLARD
HUNTINGTON
HYGHLORD
ILLINGWORTH
MALLABY-DEELEY
OAKES
PONTIFEX
ROBINSON
ROTLAND
RUTLAND [ROUTHLAND]
RUTLAND
SHERMAN
SIMPSON
SMITH
STANLEY
STAPLES
THOMSON
THOROLD
WATNEY
WORSFOLD


BIDDER

George Parker Bidder, JP, QC, MA (Cantab), of Ravensbury Park, Mitcham, bencher and barrister-at-law, Lincoln’s Inn, (1836-96), was father of Lieutenant-Colonel Harold Francis Bidder, DSO, JP, MA (Cantab), FSA, of Ravensbury Manor, Mitcham, (b.1875), who had issue George Parker Bidder, (b.1920), and Alan Mortimer McClean Bidder, (b.1921).

Arms: Chequy Argent and Azure on a chief Sable a four-winged thunderbolt Or between two horseshoes of the first.

Crest: A sinister arm embowed vested Azure cuffed and charged on the sleeve with a saltire Argent the hand holding a scroll Proper.

Motto: Ne tentes aut perfice. (FD7)


BRERETON

of Mitcham.
Arms: Argent two bars Sable, a crescent for difference.
Crest: A bear head erased Sable muzzled Or, charged with a crescent for difference.
As borne (SV1623) by Theophilus Brereton, (d.Dec 5, 1638), of Mitcham, son of Richard Brereton, 2nd son of Thomas Brereton of Henley-in-Arden, Warwickshire, 2nd son of Sir Randall Brereton of Malpas, Cheshire.


CAESAR

Sir Julius Caesar, Master of the Rolls, (1558-1636), acquired property at Mitcham by marriage, 1582, to Dorcas, widow of Richard Lusher, and daughter of Sir Richard Martin, Alderman of London and Master of the Mint, and entertained Queen Elizabeth I there 1598.
(DNB, VCHS iv 229)
Arms: Gules three roses Argent on a chief of the second as many roses of the first.
Crest: A dolphin embowed Proper in the sea Vert. (BGA)


CRANMER

Robert Cranmer, (d.1665), bought Mitcham Canons 1656. It descended in the family until the death, spm. 1801, of James
Cranmer; his daughter Esther Maria married Captain Richard Dixon, 85th Regiment, who assumed the name and arms of Cranmer.
Arms: Argent on a chevron Purpure between three pelicans Azure as many cinquefoils Or. (VCHS iv 231)
See also SIMPSON.


ELLINGWORTH

of Mitcham.
Arms: Argent a fess flory counterflory between three escallops Sable. (BGA)


FARRANT

of Mitcham.
Arms: Argent on a chief Gules two crosses patonce Vair, a crescent for difference.
Crest: A cubit arm erect vested Vair cuffed Argent, the hand Proper holding a battle-axe in bend sinister of the second, the sleeve
charged with a crescent for difference.
As borne (SV1623) by Richard Farrant of Mitcham, son of William Farrant, DCL


FENTON

Fairbairn records Ferrar Fenton, FRAS, FCAA of 8 King’s Road, Mitcham, as using for
Crest: Out of a ducal coronet an arm embowed in armour Or holding in the hand a sword Argent hilted of the first.
Motto: Mon hieur viendra. (FBC)


FITZWILLIAM

of Mitcham.

Arms: Lozengy Argent and Gules.
Crest: Out of a ducal coronet Or a triple plume of ostrich feathers Argent.
From the brass in Tooting Graveney Church to William FitzWilliam, (d.Jul 17, 1597), of Mitcham, and his wife, Elizabeth, (d.1582), daughter of .. Harrington. (SAC xxxiii 12)


GREENE

of Mitcham.

Baronet, Nov. 2, 1664. Extinct 1671.
Arms: Per pale Azure and Sable three bucks trippant Or.
Crest: A buck head couped Argent attired Or gorged with a coronet per pale Azure and Sable.
Granted by Bysshe, Clarenceux, to William Greene, Jan 6, 1663. (SAC iii 350)


HARRINGTON

The arms of Harrington are impaled by FitzWilliam, on a monument in Tooting Graveney Church; William FitzWilliam, of Mitcham, (d.1597), married Elizabeth, (d.1582), widow of William Dymoke, (d.1549), and daughter of Sir John Harrington * of Exton, Rutland, (d.1553).
Arms: Sable a fret Argent.
Crest: A lion’s head erased Or collared Gules buckled Gold.
* (VCHS iv 104) records [Sir] James Harrington, presumably Sir John’s son, as buying the manor of Tooting Graveney from Sir Edward Dymoke, 1593, and selling it, 1595, to Sir Henry Maynard.


HEATH

of Limpsfield.
Arms: Argent a cross raguly between twelve billets Gules.
As borne in 1623 by Robert Heath of Dartford, Kent, and Sir Robert Heath of Mitcham, grandsons of Robert Heath of Limpsfield, son of John Heath of Limpsfield. (MB ii 395) *
* Burke records the following for Heath of Brasted, Kent, and of Lyndsfield, (sic) and Tandridge.
Arms: Argent a cross engrailed between twelve billets Gules.
Crest: A wolf’s head erased per pale Sable and Or ducally gorged Argent holding in the mouth a broken spear of the second headed of the third. (BGA)


HELLARD

of Mitcham, also of Cornwall.
Arms: Sable a bend flory Argent. (BGA)


HUNTINGTON

David Charles Huntington of Oaktree Cottage, Wormley, (b.1938), elder son of Lieutenant-Colonel Arthur Charles Huntington, MVO, Grenadier Guards, (1908-44), and descended from James Huntington of Mitcham, (1801-81).
Arms: Or on a pale between two roses Gules barbed and seeded Proper a lion rampant between two water bougets of the field.
Crest: Upon a mount Vert a lion’s head Or gorged with a collar Vair between roses barbed seeded leaved and stalked Proper.
Motto: In veritate Victoria. (BLG18)


HYGHLORD

alias HELLARD of Mitcham, also of Devon.
Arms: Sable a bend flory Argent.
Crest: A ship in full sail in a sea all Proper. (BGA)


ILLINGWORTH

of Mitcham.
Arms: Argent a cross flory Gules between three escallops Sable.
From brasses in Mitcham Church to Richard Illingworth, (d.1511), and to Ralph Illingworth, (d.1572). (SAC xxx 94)

But at (SV1530), William Illingworth of Mitcham, is recorded, possibly in error, as bearing Argent a fess flory and counterflory Gules between three escallops Sable.

Crest. Burke gives for Illingworth, of Surrey: Within a crescent Argent a cock crowing Sable. (BGA)


MALLABY-DEELEY

Sir Harry Mallaby Mallaby-Deeley, 1st Bart., JP, MA, LL.M (Cantab), of Mitcham Court, (1863-1937), was created Baronet 1922. The title expired on the death, 1962, of his grandson Sir Anthony Meyrick Mallaby-Deeley, 3rd Bart., of Slater’s Oak, Effingham.

Arms: Quarterly, 1 and 4, Sable a chevron engrailed Ermine between in chief two fleurs-de-lys and in base a crescent Or (Deeley); 2 and 3, Or a bunch of nettles Proper and a chief Sable (Mallaby).

Crests: 1, A sinister cubit arm in armour gauntleted holding in the hand a dagger point downwards Proper pommel and hilt Or between two spurs Gold (Deeley); 2, Issuant from clouds Proper a demi Pegasus Argent winged and charged on the shoulder with a fleur-de-lys Azure.

Motto: Quod Deus vult. (BP99)


OAKES

of Mitcham Hall, Bart.,

Arms: Argent on a chevron engrailed Sable between three sprigs of oak fructed Proper a cross of eight points of the field on a canton Gules a mullet of as many points within an increscent of the first.

Crest: Out of a mural crown Gules a buck’s head erased Proper gorged with a collar embattled counter-embattled Or.

Motto: Persevere. (BGA)


PONTIFEX

William Pontifex of Grove Lodge, Mitcham, later of Cheshunt, Hertfordshire, and of London, merchant, (1766-1851), had issue, a 2nd son William Pontifex of Chichester, {Sussex} and London, (1793-1870), who was father of, amongst others, William Pontifex of Denbighs, Haslemere, and of Chilworth Manor. Arms: Azure in base barry of four Argent and of the first a bridge of three arches embattled Proper and a chief of the second thereon two pallets between as many mullets of the field.

Crest: A tower Proper charged with a cross moline Azure surmounted by a rainbow also Proper.

Motto: In hoc signo vinces. (BFR; FD7)


ROBINSON

Major-General Sir Charles Walker Robinson, KCB, the Rifle Brigade, (1836-1924), 4th son of Sir John Beverley Robinson, 1 st Bart., of Beverley House, Toronto, (1791-1863), was at one time of Beverley House, Mitcham Common. The family formerly bore: Arms: Per chevron Vert and Azure on a chevron nebulé between three stags trippant Or an unicorn’s head couped between two cinquefoils of the first. Crest: A stag trippant Or semé of lozenges Azure and resting the dexter forefoot on a millrind Sable. Motto: Properè et providè. (BP58; FBC) The family now bears: Arms: Or on a chevron between three stags trippant Vert as many cinquefoils of the field. Crest: A stag trippant Vert bezanté. Motto: As above. {Properè et providè} (BP105; FD7)


ROTLAND

of Surrey.

Arms: Or on a fess between three boars’ heads erect and erased Gules as many spearheads of the first. Crest: A nag’s head Or erased per fess Gules maned of the last. (BGA) Burke also gives this crest for Rutland, or Roushland, of Mitcham, qv, as does Fairbairn. (FBC)


RUTLAND [ROUTHLAND]

of Mitcham.

Arms: Gules and inescutcheon Or all within a bordure of the second. Crest: A horse head Or, erased and maned Gules. * As borne by Nicholas Rutland, son of Nicholas Rutland, son of Francis Rutland, son of Nicholas Rutland of Mitcham, (d.1582), Clerk of the Catry, son of Francis Rutland, son of William Rutland of Canterbury, Kent, son of .. Rutland, alias Routhland of Essex. (Harl. Ms 1561, fo 54b) * Burke gives for Rutland, or Roushland, of Mitcham: Arms: Gules an orle engrailed on the inner side Or a bordure also engrailed of the last. Crest: A nag’s head Or erased per fess Gules maned of the last. (BGA)


RUTLAND

Frederick William Rutland, of Mitcham. Arms: Or an orle engrailed on the inner side Gules between eight estoiles in orle Azure. Crest: A horse’s head erased Sable semé of annulets Or in the mouth a branch of fern Proper. Motto: Post proelia proemia. (BGA)


SHERMAN

of Mitcham.

Arms: Or a lion rampant Sable between three holly leaves Vert a mullet for difference. Crest: A demi-lion rampant couped Sable holding in his dexter paw a sprig of holly Vert. From the monument in Mitcham Church to Bazaleel Sherman, (d.Aug 25, 1670), merchant of London. (MB ii 503)


SIMPSON

The Simpson family acquired Mitcham Canons by the marriage of William Simpson, of Lichfield, {Staffordshire}, to Emily, daughter of Captain Richard Dixon, post Cranmer, qv; William F J Simpson was Lord of the Manor in 1912. Arms: Per bend sinister Or and Sable a lion rampant counterchanged holding between the paws a gauntlet Azure. Crest: An ounce’s head Proper erased and ducally crowned Gules charged on the neck with a gauntlet Or. (VCHS iv 231; BGA)


SMITH

of Mitcham.

Arms: Argent on a chevron engrailed Azure between three greyhound heads erased Sable collared Gules as many estoiles Or. Crest: A stag head couped Gules attired Argent. * As borne (SV1623) by George and Thomas Smith, both of Mitcham, sons of Thomas Smith of Mitcham. * Burke gives this as: Arms: Argent on a chevron engrailed Azure between three greyhounds’ heads erased Sable collared Or ringed Gules as many estoiles (another mullets) of the fourth. Crest: A stag’s head erased Gules attired Argent. (BGA)


STANLEY

Earl of Derby. Sir Thomas Stanley, KG, Lord Stanley, (c.1405-59), acquired a share in the manor of Dorking by marriage to Joan, daughter and coheir of Sir Robert Goushill of Hoveringham, Nottinghamshire, by his wife Elizabeth, (d.1425), widow of Thomas Mowbray, Duke of Norfolk, (d.1399), and daughter of Richard FitzAlan, Earl of Arundel, (executed 1397). His son Thomas, 1st Earl of Derby, (c 1435-1504), acquired half the manor of Reigate, which was sold in 1600 after the death, spm, 1594, of Ferdinando, 5th Earl of Derby. In 1759, Sir Edward Stanley, 5th Bart., 11th Earl of Derby, (1689-1776), acquired the lease of Lambert’s Oaks, Mitcham, which his grandson Edward, 12th Earl of Derby, (1752-1834), bought in 1788. * The 17th Earl of Derby was one of the principal landowners in Thursley in 1920. (VCHS iii 59, 144-6, 235-6, iv 247) Arms: Argent on a bend Azure three stags’ heads cabossed Or. Crest: On a chapeau Gules turned up Ermine an eagle wings extended Or preying on an infant in its cradle Proper swaddled Gules the cradle laced Gold. Supporters: Dexter, A griffin wings elevated; Sinister, A stag; both Or and each ducally collared with line reflexed over the back Azure. Motto: Sans changer. (BP105) * “He used the house as a hunting and racing box, and the famous sweepstakes whence the Derby and the Oaks originated were founded there”. (VCHS)


STAPLES

Roger Staples of The Close, Salisbury, {Wiltshire},(1694-1745), had issue, amongst others, an eldest son Roger Staples, JP, of Mitcham Hall, a London banker, (dsp. 1778), and a 2nd son Charles Staples of London, (b.1728), who was father of, amongst others, Moses William Staples, of Norwood, banker and alderman of London, (1762-1802). His son, Moses William Staples of Norwood, and of Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire, (1786-1864), married, 1811, Anne, daughter of the Rev. William Frederick Browne of Launton, Oxfordshire, and coheir of her brother Captain William Frederick Browne, of Launton and North Berwick. Their eldest son Richard Thomas Staples-Browne of Launton, (1814-55), assumed the additional name and arms of Browne on succeeding to Launton, 1842. Arms: Quarterly, 1 and 4, Ermine on a bend Azure between two fleurs-de-lys Gules three leopards’ heads jessant-de-lys Or (Staples); 2 and 3, Sable a bend engrailed Ermine on a chief Argent an escallop Gules between two torteaux (Browne). Crests: 1, Out of a crown vallary Argent a lion’s head affronté Gules semé-de-lys and ducally crowned Or (Staples); 2, An eagle displayed sable wings fretty resting each claw on a mullet Or (Browne). Motto: Sans Dieu rien. (BLG5)


THOMSON

Fairbairn records W W Thomson of Hill Farm, Mitcham, as using for Crest: On a chapeaux Proper a sword in pale point upwards between two wings. (FBC)


THOROLD

Lieutenant-Colonel Hayford Douglas Thorold, CBE, West Riding Regiment, of East Clandon, (1861-1934), was son of Major-General Reginald Gother Thorold, RE, (1837-1928), and descended from Sir John Thorold, 9th Bart., (1734-1815), who was ancestor also of the Rev. John Robert Hayford Thorold, MA (Cantab), Vicar of Mitcham, (b.1916), elder son of the Rev. Ernest Hayford Thorold, CB, CBE, MA, DD (Oxon), (1879-1940), Chaplain of the Tower of London, 1931-38. Arms: Sable three goats salient Argent. Crest: A roebuck passant Argent attired Or. Motto: Cervus non servus. (BP105; FD7)


WATNEY

Daniel Watney of Wimbledon, (1705-80), was grandfather of Daniel Watney of Mitcham, (1771-1831), Master of the Mercers Company, 1816, who married, 1792, Mary, (d.1830), eldest daughter of James Galpin of Galpins, Mitcham, and sister and coheir of Captain James Galpin, 54th Regiment. Many of his descendants were Masters of the Mercers’ Company, including his eldest son Daniel Watney, (1799-1874); his 2nd son James Watney of Haling Park and Beddington, (1800-84), father of James Watney of Beddington, (1832-86), Master, 1879; and his 3rd son John Watney of Mitcham, (1804-75), father of Sir John Watney, JP, FSA, of Shermanbury House, Reigate, (1834-1923), Clerk of the Mercers’ Company, 1875-1906, whose 2nd son Stephen Cecil Watney of Chaldon Mead, Merstham, (1868-1954), was Master, 1920, and whose 3rd son Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Frank Dormay Watney, KCVO, CBE, TD, DL, of The Little Boltons and of Copleys, Reigate, (b.1870), was Clerk to the Company, 1919-40. Of the same family, Dendy Watney of Rothesay, Gower Road, Weybridge, (b.1865), was younger son of Daniel Watney of Ventnor, Isle of Wight, (b.1835). Arms: Quarterly, 1 and 4, Azure a cross engrailed Ermine in the first and fourth quarters a dove Argent and in the second and third a garb Or (Watney); 2 and 3, Quarterly Argent and Or a cross fleuretté Gules in the first and fourth quarters a lion rampant of the last charged with three bars of the second (Galpin). Crest: On a mount Vert in front of a garb erect Or a greyhound courant Sable gorged with a collar therefrom pendent a bugle-horn Gold. Mottoes: Virtute et industria. (BLG18) Vive ut vivas. (FBC)


WORSFOLD

Sir Thomas Cato Worsfold, 1st and last Bart., DL, JP, MA, LL.D (TCD), of The Hall Place, Mitcham, solicitor, (d.1936), son of William Worsfold of The Hall Place, was MP for Mitcham, 1918-23, and was created Baronet, 1924. Arms: Argent on a mount Vert a beacon fired between three lambs Proper. Crest: Within a crown palisado Or a shepherd’s hound Proper. Motto: I watch the fold. (DPB1936)

Advertisements

1919 plan for Park Place by the YMCA

A letter from the YMCA to the Mitcham & Tooting Mercury in 1919 sets out their plan for Park Place.

THE MITCHAM PARK PLACE SCHEME.

To the Editor of “ The Mercury.”

Sir,

The following is a rough outline of the scheme which we hope to carry out at Park Place.

Park Place and grounds is a very large house, standing in about eleven acres of ground. There are two large meadows, a tennis court, lawns, part of which will be used as a bowling green, a large garden and orchard. In the main part of the building there are five rooms upstairs, which we hope to run as a hostel for about ten men and there is also a large room which will be used as a games room. Downstairs we have arranged for a restaurant, ’billiard room and a music room and library, and a private room for the exclusive and permanent use of the secretary of the National Federation of Discharged and Demobilised Sailors and Soldiers. To satisfy the one need of a large hall for concerts, lectures and other activities, we hope to transfer the hut in the hospital to these grounds as soon as it is not required at the hospital.

We are planning to carry out a very extensive social and sports programme, and we hope to form cricket, football, tennis, bowling, quoits and boxing clubs, to hold frequent sports meetings and to arrange billiard tournaments and to organise whist drives. We expect to be able to carry out an educational programme by arranging lectures and classes and study circles and by running a library. On Saturday afternoons and evenings in the summer, we shall try to arrange al fresco teas and concerts on the lawn, and on Sunday afternoons it is my hope that, in co-operation with the religious denominations in Mitcham, we shall be able to arrange for some sort of united religious service.

As the Mitcham Golf Course is so near we may find it possible to form a golf club. In addition to those activities, which we can arrange for ourselves, I am sure it will be possible for us to secure well-known concert parties, lecturers and demonstrations in all kinds of sport by well-known amateurs and professionals.

There will be an advisory committee formed from the members of the club and then I hope that we shall be able to form a ladies’ auxiliary committee. Mrs. Cato Worsfold, whose splendid work in connection with the hospital hut, is well known, has kindly consented to be president of this committee, and Miss Holden will be the secretary. This committee will be responsible for recruiting and organising ladies’ voluntary assistance. While on this question, I would like to throw out a strong appeal to the gentlemen of the district to associate themselves with the club and to assist us in every possible way to form the various sports clubs.

Such is the bare outline of the different activities, which we hope to carry out here. A thousand other things suggest themselves. My own feeling is that here we have a magnificent opportunity to build up a strong social and sports club, which will be the very centre of social activities in Mitcham, and in regard to sport, an organisation which can become a real power house in the realm of amateur athletics. Now, this can only lie done by utilising every ounce of local support. We must all pull the same way with the same ideals. There is no resident in Mitcham who cannot contribute in service and subscription (I put service first).

Now a word as to membership. All men over the age of sixteen years will be admitted to the buildings and grounds free. Perhaps, I may put in a word here on the position of the Mitcham branch of the Discharged and Demobilised Sailors and Soldiers Federation. For the permanent and exclusive use as an office and committee room of the federation, one of the rooms downstairs has been set aside. For the ordinary activities of the scheme, members of the Federation will become members of the Red Triangle Club. The federation will be allowed the exclusive use, not more than twice a week, of one or more of the large rooms for the purposes of general meetings, Federation whist drives, small concerts, etc. The whole catering arrangements will always be in the hands of the Y.M.C.A.

Every man wishing to use the club will be given a membership ticket which will entitle him to one month’s free membership. At the expiration of this period this card may be renewed to extend over a period not exceeding twelve months. My idea is that if it proves financially possible to do so, we should endeavour to put these clubs on the same basis as the Y.M.C.A. huts. They should be open to all men at all times free of charge. Later on it may be necessary — indeed the numbers themselves may require it — for us to charge a small membership fee. The different sports clubs will, of course, have their own membership fees. This will be fixed by the members of the clubs themselves. The only regulations enforced in regard to the formation of these clubs will be those applying to the particular kind of sport and a very strict rule prohibiting any form of gambling.

Now, a word as to the admission of ladies. We would like very much to carry out a joint work for both sexes, but unfortunately our space will not permit this at the moment. I think that we can and should arrange for the ladies to join our sports clubs, especially the tennis club, and that the members of the club should be encouraged to bring their wives and lady friends to the concerts, whist drives, and the Saturday afternoon al fresco concerts and teas.

Men and women have grown to love healthy club life and if every spare shilling and every spare hour were spent in the establishment of these clubs, I am convinced that a great many of our social problems would disappear. Men and women to-day are waiting for the opportunity to serve their fellows as much as to be served.

As to the opening. The formal opening has been arranged to take place on Saturday, the 10th May. at 5.15 p.m. Dr. T. Cato Worsfold, M.P., has kindly consented to occupy the chair on this occasion. Sir Arthur K. Yapp, K.B.E., will speak on the after-war programme of the Y.M.C.A. It is hoped to secure the presence of a well known personage. On the 10th May the house and grounds will be thrown open to the public from 2.30 p.m., and teas will be served in the grounds from 3.30 p.m. at popular prices. As this will be the occasion of the formal entry of the Mitcham Branch of the National Federation of Discharged and Demobilised Sailors and Soldiers, a demonstration will be made by ex-service men before the opening ceremony. The Secretary and members of the local branch are busy arranging a procession which will march round Mitcham headed by bands. The Y.M.C.A. extends to everyone a hearty invitation to attend this important function.

I am, yours sincerely,
Thos. B. Scotcher.
Resident Secretary.

Park Place,
Mitcham.

Source: Mitcham & Tooring Mercury, 2nd May, 1919 page 5

1949 Demolition of Hall Place

From the Mitcham News & Mercury
20th May, 1949

Last Chapter In The Story Of Hall Place

The last chapter in the history of the Hall Place, Church-road, near Mitcham Town Hall, is now being written.

This week, the dust of demolition rises like the bursting of flour bags. Elizabethan type chimneys silhouette the sky, waiting their turn to tumble amid the debris.

The present Hall Place, described as a “village mansion,” was built in 1707, and many historical features were lost with later additions. For two hundred years it was occupied by the Worsfold family. Sir Cato Worsfold died just before the last war, and the family vacated the house.

Sir Cato had a humorous story to tell in connection to tell in connection with his home. In 1745, when the Young Pretender’s troops were marching on London by way of Mitcham, the Worsfold in residence called his employees together, and delivered a patriotic speech calculated to stir the most sluggish breast.

They stood and listened with flails, scythes and billhooks. But, somehow, they weren’t moved as he expected them to be. Then, the master of the house brought out three barrels of his best October brew. That did the trick.

Instructions have been given for two archways at the Hall Place to be left standing. One was erected from masonry brought from Merton Priory.

These two reminders of the past will add to the appearance and tone of the new building for the Mitcham County Secondary Boys’ School, which is scheduled for the site.

Rock Terrace

A terrace of houses built near the crossroads of two field paths. One path went from the parish church, north-westerly across the fields; the other ran east to west along Fox’s Path.

This OS map of 1866 shows where these two paths met, and, while Rock Terrace is not actually named, the buildings outlined in red may well be it.

Later, the terrace was extended and the road was named Belgrave Road, with the path leading to the church being called Belgrave Walk.

Earliest reference found so far in the newspaper archives is for an auction of 9 houses in Rock Terrace.

Freehold ground-rent of £21 per annum, arising from nine houses in Rock-terrace, Mitcham — £115.

Source: Morning Advertiser – Wednesday 29 August 1866 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)

This 1910 map shows the outline of houses in Belgrave Road. Given that Batsworth Road was laid on the original path from Fox’s Path, then the 9 houses referred to in the auction may well have been the whole terrace.

News Stories

1922 Rock Terrace Recreation Ground

A major event was the Explosion of 1933.

King George V Silver Jubilee Celebrations in 1935

Note that Lady Worsfold, residing at Hall Place when this photo was taken, moved to the White House at the cricket green the following year when her husband, T. Cato worsfold, died.

Rock Terrace and Queen Street (sic), Mitcham, Jubilee Tea. From Mitcham News & Mercury, 31st May, 1935.

Rock Terrace and Queen Street (sic), Mitcham, Jubilee Tea. From Mitcham News & Mercury, 31st May, 1935.


Merton Memories Photos

Church Class

Off to the Races – this photo was reproduced in Eric Montague’s Mitcham Histories: 8 Phipps bridge, on page 113 with the caption that it was around 1910.

Women’s League of Service

From
Mitcham Tooting Mercury
18th September, 1914
page 3 column 1

The Needlework Committee of the above League have sent 20 shirts and 10 pairs of socks to General Markham, at Farnborough, in answer to his appeal in one of the daily papers for shirts and socks for his soldiers. Mrs. Worsfold has sent off several large parcels of children’s and women’s clothes to the Belgian refugees, collected and made by members of the Women’s League of Service. The children of the Upper Mitcham Girls’ School have collected a large bundle of old clothes, 114 garments for the Belgian refugees. The girls washed and mended the clothes at the school, under the supervision of Miss Beddoe, the headmistress.

Holborn Military Hospital

The Holborn Union Workhouse was taken over as a Military Hospital in 1916:

From the Mitcham Advertiser, 4th August, 1916:

WOUNDED SOLDIERS FOR MITCHAM.

We understand that the War Office has taken over the Holborn Institution, Western Road, for the purpose of using it as a hospital for wounded soldiers. It is suggested that the present inmates will be transferred to the Workhouse at Belmont.

1893 OS map

From “Mitcham Histories No. 14 ‘Upper Mitcham and Western Road'” by E.N. Montague of the Merton Historical Society, page  94:

In 1919, after the last of the soldiers had left, a memorial tablet was set in the wall to the right of the main gate, and unveiled by Lady Worsfold of Hall Place. The inscription read “Holborn Military Hospital, Mitcham 1916-1919. To the glory of God and Sacred to the memory of those who gave Their lives in the Great War”, and listed the names of 22 men and one nursing sister who had died there. When what remained of the former workhouse reception building was being removed by demolition contractors in the late 1960s the memorial was salvaged by the writer, and taken into safekeeping by Merton Historical Society.

This memorial tablet is now in storage in the custody of Merton Local Studies Centre. The names that can be worked out from the photo on Merton Memories (see below) are:

Merton Memories Photos

Memorial stone
Entrance in Western Road


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

1924 Honours List

Exeter and Plymouth Gazette – Tuesday 01 January 1924
HONOURS For New Year.

THREE PEERS CREATED AND TEN BARONETS.

Plymouth Knight. The following lists of New Year’s honours were issued last night:

NEW PEERS.
TO BE VISCOUNT.

James Lyle Baron Inchcape, G.C.M.G., etc.

BARONS.
Sir Frederick Geo. Banbury, Bart., M.P.
Sir Charles John Darling.
Col. Sir Herbert Merton Jessel,, Bart.

PRIVY COUNCILLORS.

Hon. Henry Burton, K.C., Minister of Finance, Union of South Africa.
Frederick Henry Baron Colwyn.
Sir George Ambrose Lloyd.
Ronald John Macneill, Esq., M.P., Under-Secretary for Foreign Affairs since October, 1922.
Major Edward Earl Winterton, M.P., Under-Secretary for India since October, 1922.

BARONETS.

Henry Strother Cautlev, Esq., K.C., M.P.
Major Herbert Robin Cayser, M.P.
Sir Thomas Willes Chitty, Senior Master King’s Bench Division and King’s Rembrancer.
Gilbert Wheaton Fox, Esq.
Sir Donald Macalister, President of the General Medical Council.
Sir John Paget Mellor, late Procurator-General and Solicitor to the Treasury.
John de Fonblanque Pennefather, Esq., M.P.
John Cecil Power, Esq., for public services.
Sir Lewis Richardson, for services rendered to the Union of South Africa.
Thomas Cato Worsfold, Esq., M.A., LL.D.

KNIGHTS.

Ernest King Allen, Esq., Assistant Public Trustee.
Herbert Austin, Esq., Clerk of the Central Criminal Court. Alderman Albert Ball. J.P.
Henry Wm. Russell Bencraft, Esq., L.R.C.P., Edin.
Col. Joseph Alfred Bradney. Byron Br well, Esq., M.D., etc., for services to medicine.
Leonard James Coates, Esq., member of the Liquidation Board. Archibald Craig, Esq.
Benjamin Scaife Gott, Esq., for services to Education.
Walter Lawrence, Esq.
Thomas Harry Mottcram, Esq., Chief Inspector of Mines.
Hugh Murray, Esq., Assistant Forestry Commissioner for England and Wales.
William George Rio, Esq.
Charles Claxton Sanderson. Esq., Controller of the London Postal Service.
Robert Forsyth Scott, Esq., M. A.
William George Turner, Esq., Lord Mayor of Belfast.
Arthur Watson, Esq., General Manager London, Midland, and Scottish Railway.
White, Esq., Chief Master the Supreme Court, Chancery Division.
Alderman John Frederick Winnicott.
Frederick Wise, Esq., M.P.

ORDER OF THE BATH. KNIGHT GRAND CROSS

Air Chief Sir Hough Montague Trenchard.

KNIGHTS COMMANDERS.

Lieut.-Gen. Sir Joseph John Asser, Governor Bermuda.
Lieut.-Gen. Sir William Leishman, Director-General Army Medical Service.
Major-Gen. Sir James Marshall Stewart, Indian Army (retired pay).
Colonel (formerly Brigadier-General) William Bromley – Davenport. Late Territorial Army Reserve, Staffordshire Yeomanry.
Air Vice-Marshal Oliver Swann.
Rear-Admiral the Hon. Douglas Edward Harry Boyle. Engineer Vice-Admirai Robert Bland Dixon.

STAR OF INDIA.

KNIGHT GRAND COMMANDER.

Gen. Henry Seymour Baron Rawlinson of Trent, Commander-in-Chief in India.

KNIGHTS COMMANDERS.

Charles Alexander Innes, Esq., member of the Governor-General’s Executive Council
General Sir Claud William Jacob, Chief the General Staff, India.

ORDER OF INDIAN EMPIRE.

KNIGHT GRAND COMMANDER.

Maharaja Sir Bijay Chand Mahtab Bahadur of Burdwan, Vice-President, Council of the Governor of Bengal.

KNIGHTS COMMANDERS.

Arthur Rowland Knapp, Esq., member of the Executive Council of the Governor of Madras.
Hugh Lansdown Stephenson, Esq., member of the Executive Council of the Governor of Bengal.
Reginald Arthur Mant, Esq., member of the Executive Council of the Governor of the Punjab.
Maung Kin, Esq., member of the Executive Council of the Governor of Burma.
Bhupendra Nath Metra, Esq., Military Finance Adviser, Government of India.
Nawab Muhammed Muzamonel Ullah Khan Khan Bahadur of Bhikampur, United Provinces.

ROYAL VICTORIAN ORDER,

KNIGHT GRAND CROSS.

Right Hon. Anthony Earl of Shaftesbury.

KNIGHTS COMMANDER.

Archibald Douglas Baron Blythswood.
Sir Humphreys Harrison. Surgeon Lieut.-Col.
Sir Warren Crooke-Lawless Major-Gen.
George Darell Jeffreys.

The conferment of a barony upon Sir Frederick Banbury will create a Parliamentary vacancy in the City London, for which constituency he was first elected 1906. At the last election Sir Frederick and Mr. E. C. Grenfell were returned unopposed. Lord Inchcape, who becomes Viscount, is well-known merchant and Chairman the P. and O. Steamship Company. He has served on innumerable Government Committees, was a member of the “Geddes Axe” Committee, and was Chairman of the Indian Retrenchment Committee, which reported last year.

Sir Charles Darling is the well-known Judge, who recently retired after 26 years’ service on the Bench. The other new peer, Sir Herbert Jessell, is a son of a former Master the Rolls. He was for some years a London Unionist member, and has been London Whip at the Unionist Central Office since 1920.

Dr. Bencraft, one of the new Knights, was captain of Hampshire Cricket Club for some years. Alderman Winnicott, another new Knight, is a former Mayor of Plymouth. Colonel Bradney is Chairman of Monmouthshire Territorial Force Association. Dr. Dramwell is a well-known Edinburgh physician. Mr. Scott is Master of St. John’s College, Cambridge. Mr. Archibald Craig belongs to Glasgow. Major Cayzer,one of the new Baronets, is Conservative member for Portsmouth South. First elected for the Division in 1918, he resigned soon after the 1922 General Election, and Colonel Leslie Wilson was elected to the vacancy. Major Cayzer was re-elected last month. Dr. Worsfold, another new Baronet, formerly represented the Mitcham Division of Surrey. He retired early in 1923, when Sir A. Griffith-Boscawen stood for the seat and was defeated.

COLONIAL OFFICE LIST.

PRIVY COUNCILLOR.

Hon. Henry Burton, KC., Minister of Finance, Union South Africa. BARONET.
Sir Lewis Richardson, in recognition of services rendered the Union of South Africa.

ST. MICHAEL AND ST. GEORGE

K.C.M.G.

Alexander Ransford Slater, Esq., Governor of Sierra Leone. Hon. Littleton Ernest Groom, Attorney-General and member of the House of Representatives of the Commonwealth Australia Rowland Dunstan, Esq., for services as Director of the Imperial Institute.

KNIGHTS BACHELOR.

Lewis Cohen, Esq., Lord Mayor of Adelaide, South Australia. Henry Lindo Ferguson, Esq., M.D., of the Faculty of Medicine, Otago University, New Zealand.
John George Fraser, Esq., Government Agent, Western Province, Ceylon. David James Galloway, Esq., M.D., member of Executive and Legislative Councils of the Straits Settlements.
Hon. John McWhae, Agent-Genera! London for the State Victoria. Hon. Arthur Mielziner Myers, formerly Minister of Customs and Munitions, and for many years member the House of Representatives New Zealand.
Sydney Charles King Farlow Nettleton, Esq., Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, Bahama Islands.
Joseph John Nunan, Esq.. Attorney-General, British Guiana. Lieut.-Col. William Thomas Prout, one of the Medical Advisers to the Colonial Office.
Robert Rutherford, Esq., Chairman of the West India Committee. Ronald Storrs, Esq., District Governor of Jerusalem.
Herbert John Taylor, Esq., for services under the British South Africa Company’s Administration of Southern Rhodesia as Chief Native Commissioner.
John Vicars, Esq., of the City of Sydney, in recognition of his services to the Commonwealth of Australia.

FOREIGN OFFICE LIST.

ST. MICHAEL AND ST. GEORGE— K.C.M.G.

Earl Granville, his Majesty’s Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Copenhagen.
Lord Kilmarnock, British High Commissioner on the Inter-Allied Rhineland High Commission.

The King, on the recommendation of the Governor-General of Northern Ireland, Lord Justice James Andrews and Huge de Fellenderg Montgomery, Esq., to be members of the Privy Council Northern Ireland.