Tag Archives: London Road

1930 : Reburial of bodies from Zion Chapel

From the Norwood News – Friday 11 April 1930, via the British Newspaper Archive.

80 BODIES BEING RE-BURIED.

The Closing of a Mitcham Cemetery.

SECOND COMMITTAL SERVICE.

A somewhat gruesome business has been started upon this week at the burial ground of Zion Congregational Chapel, Western-road, Mitcham.

Owing to the sale of the property, it became necessary to remove the human remains interred in the old burial ground. There are about 86 bodies buried in the graveyard, dating back to a hundred years ago, when the chapel was founded. A licence from the Secretary of State for the Home Department was required for the removal of the remains, and this having been obtained, the work of removing the human remains, monuments, and tombstones from the burial ground commenced on Monday.

HOW IT IS DONE.

Mr. Donald S. Drewett, undertaker, of Upper Green, Mitcham, was given the task, and with an efficient staff of workmen carried out the task very expeditiously and reverently.

Canvas awning is erected around the graves, and the operations of the diggers is hidden from the public gaze. The strictest privacy is maintained, and only the medical officer’s representative and the Mitcham Council’s chief sanitary inspector, along with the minister (Rev. T. King), are allowed in the grounds during the operations.

Liberty was afforded the relatives of any deceased person, whose remains it was proposed to remove, to undertake themselves the removal of such remains, and a few availed themselves of the privilege; but the removal and re-interment are being carried out by the same workmen.

A SECOND SERVICE.

Large shells, or coffins, six feet long, are being utilised for the removal of the remains, and these are being conveyed in the undertaker’s van and re-interred in the Council’s new burial ground, London-road, where the Rev. T. King has conducted a second committal service, the reburial being a very reverent and solemn affair.

A gravedigger told our representative : ” The work is proceeding without much ado, except that we are screened off from the public gaze. Now and again we have met with a spring of water, and this has somewhat interfered with our operations a little. Most of the coffins fall to dust soon after they are exposed to the air. We collect the bones and put them carefully into new shells or coffins. A plan of the burial ground shows the positions of the graves and the monuments, and the names of the buried persons, as far as they can be ascertained, are kept as a record. The monuments and tombstones are being pulled down, and will be re-erected in the new cemetery. Every care is being taken that the remains are reinterred and the monuments re-erected in a manner that will give no offence to anybody.”

Advertisements

Percy Mayhew

Confectioners, newsagents and stationers, from early 20th century to possibly the late 1960s.

A number of postcards of scenes in Mitcham have his name on them, such as this undated one of London Road.

‘Mayhew’ in bottom left hand corner.

This photo of Preshaw Crescent has ‘Mayhew Mitcham’ on the left and ‘2721 Johns’ on the right, who might have been the photographer.

Preshaw Crescent

This photo of the Blue Houses has ‘Percy Mayhew’ on the left.

Ravensbury Arms and the Blue Houses

There is a collection on Merton Memories.


In the 1919 electoral register, Daisy Maud and Percy Mayhew are listed at number 8, The Parade. In the 1925 street directory, listed as a confectioner at number 4 The Parade, which was renumbered as 231.

Listed in the 1929 Where to shop in Mitcham advert as at 239 and 231 London Road.

In the programme for the 1952 Sports and Shopping Week his shop is listed as having contributed a pen and pencil set, worth 13s. 11d., as a prize in the lucky programme number competition. The address of the shop then was 72 Monarch Parade. The shop can just be seen on the right of Davant Ltd (the furniture shop at number 73), in this 1950 Tuck postcard:

1950 Tuck postcard

Listed in the 1954 telephone directory as newsagent, tobacconist, 72 Monarch Parade, London Road, MIT 2478.

Listed in the 1967 edition of the Mitcham Chamber of Commerce Yearbook, but not in the 1969 edition.

E. Birch & Sons, butchers

Ad from September 1914


Text of ad:

Messrs. E. BIRCH & SONS,

Pork and Beef Butchers.

New Premises: CENTRAL MARKET, LONDON RD, MITCHAM.

It will pay YOU to give us a call. All goods of our own manufacture from
ENGLISH material. Note the HOME KILLED PORK of Finest Quality.

E. BIRCH & Sons,

36-38, Church Road and 1, London Road. Mitcham. 133, High
Street, Merton; Beddington Corner.

Phones: 817 Mitcham; 1283 Wimbledon.

1953 OS map

In the 1930 commercial directory, E Birch & Sons was listed at 36 & 38 Church Road and also 274 London Road.

In the 1952 chamber of commerce list, shown as S.E. Birch, 36 Church Road.

Listed in the 1954 telephone directory as E. Birch & Sons, 36 Church Road, phone number MITcham 0817.

A photo from the London Metropolitan archives of 1967 shows 36 Church Road still as family butchers, with the name F. Johnson.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

1933 : Husband and wife buried in one grave

From the Mitcham News & Mercury, 6th January, 1933, page 2

IN DEATH THEY WERE NOT DIVIDED

Husband and Wife Buried in One Grave

“In death not divided” is a truism in regard to Mr. Thomas Cornelius Ware
and his wife, Mrs. Annie Jane Ware, of ” St. Olave’s.” Ashbourne-road, Mltcham.

Within four hours after his wife had been brought home dead from a London
hospital, Mr. Ware passed away. He practically foretold his death, for he
remarked to the members of his family after he had made up his accounts on
Saturday, “I shall go when mother comes home.” Mrs. Ware had died on December 29, and Mr. Ware on December 31.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Ware were 70 years old, and highly reepected in Mitcham,
where they had lived a great number of years. Mr. Ware was a retired compositor, having worked 27 years for Odham’s Press, Ltd., London.

Mrs. Ware was an active worker on behalf of the Mitcham and Tooting
Floral and Horticultural Society, and a member of the committee. She also
took a great interest in the St. Barnabas’ Church Mothers’ Union, being a Sunday-school teacher and a member of the Parochial Council.

Mr. Ware made gardening his hobby. In three years’ time Mr. and Mrs. Ware
would have celebrated their golden wedding. They formerly resided in Longley-road. Tooting.

One daughter, Miss M. A. Ware, head-mistress of the junior mixed department, Singlegate School, and four sons, all married, mourn the loss of devoted parents.

THE FUNERAL

The funeral was a double one, both Mr. and Mrs. Ware being buried in the
same grave in the new Mitcham Cemetery, London-road, on Wednesday after-
noon. The burial was preceded by a service in St. Barnabas’ Church. conducted by the Vicar. the Rev. E. J. Baker, assisted by the Rev. E. M. Vanston. The service was fully choral, with Mr. J. H. Humphries (a former organist of St. Barnabas’) at the organ. The music included Schubert’s Unfinished Symphony, Mendelssohn’s Funeral March, and two favourite hymns, ” Jesu, Lover of my soul.” and “Allelulia, Sing to Jesus.”

A large number of relatives and friends followed to the burial ground to witness the remains laid to rest.

FLORAL TRIBUTES.

The floral tributes were many and beautiful, and included those from:

… companions at Odham’s Press; St. Barnabas’ Mothers’ Union; St. Barnabas’ Working Party; North Mitcham Improvement Association; staff of Singlegate Junior Schools; friends at Gorringe Park School; Messrs. H.C.F. and F. Weber; employees of Messrs. J.F. Renshaw & Co., Ltd.; … Mr E.J. and Mr and Mrs E.E. Mizen; Mr A. Mizen and the Misses Mizen; Miss Alice Mizen; …

Midland Bank branches

In the 1930 commercial directory, a branch was listed at 5 London Road, telephone number Streatham 2170, manager W. H. Bayford.

In the 1954 telephone directory, a branch is listed at 241 London Road, telephone number MIT 4580. As part of HSBC, this branch closed in 2015/6. In March 2018 a halal butchers opened at this address.

clip from c. 1987 photo Mit_​8_​1-29 on Merton Memories, copyright London Borough of Merton