Garage and MOT business at 96 Church Road, occupying premises of former varnish factory of G. Purdom.
From 1980s? to 2018?
Photo taken March 2018. On the left is the footpath Foxes Path, the Wheatsheaf.
Photo taken March 2018, looking north.
In the 1971 telephone directory, the company at this address was Bromhead & Denison, “Chems and Mins”, number 01-648 4494. Their name can be seen on this clip from Merton Memories:
clip from merton Memories photo Mit_Work_Industry_8-1 copyright London Borough of Merton.
Renamed as B & D Clays and Chemicals Ltd., the company moved to Western Road in around 1983, according to a person on the Facebook Mitcham History group. This company currently trades from Willow Lane according to Companies House, which says the company incorporated in 1974.
The Kings Arms pub, currently number 260 London Road, was rebuilt around 1900 in the ‘Tudor’ style. Number 258, was part of the pub and this clip from 1910 shows the sign “King’s Arms” on its north gable. This view is now obscured by the building numbered 256 and 254. It isn’t known when it became a separate shop.
1910 clip from Merton Memories photo 51745, copyright London Borough of Merton
This postcard, posted in October 1930, shows the shop as T.G. Brown, florists:
In the 1930 commercial directory, the name is given as Thomas George Brown:
Brown Thos. Geo. florist, 258 London rd. T N 3983
1989 clip from Merton Memories photo 27986, copyright London Borough of Merton
This photograph, taken 29th June 2018, shows it being used as a cafe:
Photo taken evening of 29th June, 2018
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.