When the burial ground was enlarged, a mortuary and chapel were built. These were near the entrance in Miles Road, at the north end of the churchyard. Another entrance from Church Road was made, leading to the chapel.
The Mortuary Chapel was built around 1888, by Crockett at a cost of £1,761, as listed from an advertised tender.
When Mitcham became part of the London Borough of Merton in 1865, H.M. Coroner decided that autopsies and inquests would be performed at Battersea for both Merton and Wandsworth. This decision was recorded in the minutes of the Parks, Cemeteries and Allotments Committee dated 26th May 1965:
612. Mitcham and Wimbledon Mortuaries
The Director of Parks reported
(i) that following the reorganisation of the London boroughs, H.M. Coroner had decided that as from the 1st April, 1965, he will hold all inquests for both the London boroughs of Merton and Wandsworth at the Battersea Coroner’s Court and that consequently all autopsies on bodies will be carried out at the Battersea Mortuary; and
(ii) that no request has been made to use the Wimbledon and Mitcham mortuaries which had been kept in readiness since the 1st April in case local funeral directors wish to use them as Chapels of Rest, and
(iii) that consequently there seemed to be no necessity to keep the mortuaries available particularly as some financial arrangements would have to be agreed with the London Borough of Wandsworth for bodies admitted to the Battersea Mortuary from this borough.
Source: Minutes of proceedings of the council and committees, London Borough of Merton Council Minutes, 1965-66, volume 2, part 1.
This 1952 Ordnance Survey map shows the outline of three buildings near the Miles Road.
Only the mortuary building survives intact in 2017, the small building opposite it has gone, leaving a concrete slab. Nothing is left of the chapel building.
Measurements made using the online map show the length, along its east-west side, and depth, along its north-south side :
|Building||length (ft)||depth (ft)|
Inquests, see links below, were also held at the Mortuary Chapel, presumably after a post mortem examination in the mortuary.
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
Minutes of meetings held by the London Borough of Merton are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.