Tag Archives: 1963

Manor House

Demolished in 1963, it was on the east side of the London Road, north of Baron Grove. Eric Montague in Mitcham Histories: 4 Lower Mitcham wrote: “Its exterior was predominantly ‘Georgian’ in style … commonly believed to be nearly 300 years old when demolished …”.

clip from Merton Memories, copyright Dorrett & Co., image reference Mit_Buildings_24-3

1953 OS map


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Allen Bros (Mitcham), Ltd.

360/364 London Road

Car sales and repair business on west side of London Road, south of the White Hart pub and on the north side of the corner with Broadway Gardens.

Clip from Merton Memories photo, copyright London Borough of Merton.

The site was used by KwikFit for a number of years, as seen in this 2008 Google StreetView:

These aerial views are from Bing:

kwikfit-to-north

kwikfit-to-south

The site was bought by a property developer who wanted to build a block of flats. With the KwikFit signage removed, parts of the original words used by Allen Bros could be seen.

September 2014

September 2014

September 2014. Allen Bros (Mitcham) can just be seen revealed after KwikFit signage was removed.

September 2014. Allen Bros (Mitcham) can just be seen revealed after KwikFit signage was removed.

Demolition began in early December 2016.

13th December 2016

13th December 2016

Photo taken on 2nd January 2017

Photo taken on 2nd January 2017


From 1953 Who’s Who in the Motor Industry digitised by Grace’s Guide to British Industrial History:

Car and Light Commercial Vehicle Stockists.
360, London Road, Mitcham, Surrey.
Telephone: 0867.

Directors:
M.D. Allen.
Lt. Col. F.E. Manning O.B.E.
P.L. Smith.
H.F. Priest.


Merton Memories Photos
Mr. F.E.Manning, with his son in the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run in 1957
Vintage car outside Allen Bros. Garage


Advertised as the Broadway Garage in 1937:
1937 ad

1937 ad

1961 advert from Norwood News, via the British Newspaper Archive

1963 List of Factories (U to Y)

Factories, garages, works, etc., as listed in 1963. Names of businesses listed by first letter, from U to Y.


Previous list (U to Y)

Alfred Wood & Sons (Mitcham), Ltd.

32 Eveline Road

Listed in the 1963 Mitcham Borough List of Factories as Engineers & Tools
In the 1954 phone book, listed as machinists at the Crown Engineering Works, Eveline Road.


Source:
Borough of Mitcham List of Factories,
Town Clerk’s Department,
July 1963.
Available at Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.
Reference L2 (670) MIT