Tag Archives: 1954

E. Birch & Sons, butchers

Ad from September 1914


Text of ad:

Messrs. E. BIRCH & SONS,

Pork and Beef Butchers.

New Premises: CENTRAL MARKET, LONDON RD, MITCHAM.

It will pay YOU to give us a call. All goods of our own manufacture from
ENGLISH material. Note the HOME KILLED PORK of Finest Quality.

E. BIRCH & Sons,

36-38, Church Road and 1, London Road. Mitcham. 133, High
Street, Merton; Beddington Corner.

Phones: 817 Mitcham; 1283 Wimbledon.

1953 OS map

In the 1930 commercial directory, E Birch & Sons was listed at 36 & 38 Church Road and also 274 London Road.

In the 1952 chamber of commerce list, shown as S.E. Birch, 36 Church Road.

Listed in the 1954 telephone directory as E. Birch & Sons, 36 Church Road, phone number MITcham 0817.

A photo from the London Metropolitan archives of 1967 shows 36 Church Road still as family butchers, with the name F. Johnson.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Advertisements

Victoria Fencing Co. Ltd.

Listed in the 1930 commercial directory:

Victoria Fencing Co. Ltd. chestnut fence mfrs. 371 Church rd. Merton Abbey, T N 2404

and listed with same company name in the 1954 telephone directory as

Chestnut Fencing Mfrs, 263 Church Road, MIT 2404