Tag Archives: 1953

Romany School of Dancing

Elsie and Bobby Smith started giving dancing lesson in Monarch Parade in the early 1940s, according to a contributor to the Facebook Mitcham History Group. An ad from 1962 said that they had been established for 21 years, giving their start year as 1941.

In 1947, this ad shows that they were teaching at the Majestic cinema:

Learn to Dance at Mitcham's Most MODERN BALLROOM  Romany School of Dancing Elsie & Bobby Smith (N.A.T.D.) now at Majestic Mitcham. Beginners Classes : Mon & Thurs Intermediate Classes : Tues & Fri Dances : Wed & Sat. Private Lessons by Appointment

Learn to Dance at Mitcham’s Most MODERN BALLROOM
Romany School of Dancing
Elsie & Bobby Smith (N.A.T.D.)
now at Majestic Mitcham.
Beginners Classes : Mon & Thurs
Intermediate Classes : Tues & Fri
Dances : Wed & Sat.
Private Lessons by Appointment

This ad from 1959 shows that they had moved to their own premises, at the rear of 484 London Road:

1959 ad

1959 ad

Text:

Elsie and Bobby Smith, N.A.T.D., invite you to dance at the

ROMANY BALLROOM

482, London Road, Mitcham.

Strict beginners classes, Mondays & Thursdays, 8-10.30, 2/6.

TUESDAYS
Beginners and Intermediate
8.30-10.45

WEDNESDAYS
Old Time 8-11 2/6.

FRIDAYS
Over 25’s Beginners 8-11

SATURDAY MORNING
Children’s Ballroom Class
10.30-12. 1/-.

SATURDAY CLUB DANCES TO “ROMANY BAND”.

PRIVATE LESSONS BY APPOINTMENT DAILY
For Enquiries : ‘Phone MITCHAM 4329.

STAGE BRANCH : Ballet – Tap – Modern Dance – Acrobatic Class Daily

This 1953 OS map shows the Dance Hall:

1953 OS Map

1953 OS Map

Ad from 1962 shows the introduction of a ‘Rock n Roll Club’ on Saturday nights:

1962 ad

1962 ad

Text of ad:

ROMANY’ School of Dancing
Est. 21 years
Principals : Elsie and Bobby Smith, N.A.T.D.
482 LONDON RD, MITCHAM (opp. Mitcham Stn.). Tel. MIT 4329

Monday – BEGINNERS ONLY, expert tuition, 8-10.30 p.m. 2/6
Tuesday – HOLIDAY COURSE CLASS, 8-10.30 p.m. ……… 2/6
(Special tuition for every kind of holiday dancing)
Thursday – BEGINNERS and INTERMEDIATE, 8-10.30 p.m. 2/6
Friday – Over 25s, Beginners and Intermediate, 8-10.30 p.m. 2/6
Saturday morning – Children’s Ballroom, 10.30 a.m. – 12 noon ……1/-
Saturday night – ROCK ’N’ ROLL CLUB, 7.30-11 p.m. …… 3/-
Sunday – OLD TIME CLASS and PRACTICE, 7.30-10.30 p.m. 3/-

STAGE BRANCH – Tuesdays and Fridays, 4.30 p.m.

Private Lessons Daily


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Advertisements

Queen Anne’s Gardens

Cul-de-sac road that runs eastward from the north end of Glebe Path. Possibly built in 1928/9 as first mentioned in electoral registers of 1930.

Presumably named after the Queen Anne’s Bounty that bought land in this area as ‘glebes’: a source of income to support the local clergy.

In this 1953 OS map, the shaded area to the right hand side of number 14 was a pair of garages.

1953 OS map

1953 OS map

Houses are arranged in three terraces, two on the north side, numbers 1 to 13 and 15 to 27, and one on the south side, numbered 2 to 16.

Number 16 at the eastern end of the south side was added in 2010, on land that was occupied by the garages at the side of number 14, according to planning permission 10/P0102.

Number 27, at the eastern end of the road on the north side, was split into two properties, numbered 27 and 27A, in 1983/4, according to planning permission MER771/83.

Aerial view of Queen Annes Gardens, looking to the north.

Aerial view of Queen Annes Gardens, numbers (from left to right) 1 to 27, looking to the north.

Aerial view, looking northwards, of Queen Annes Gardens, numbers 2 to 16 (south side).

Aerial view, looking southwards, south side of Queen Annes Gardens, numbers (from right to left) 2 to 16.

According to tree planning applications 10/T2775 and 13/T1448, number 9 has a eucalyptus tree in its rear garden.

Occupants in 1930 from the Electoral Register
1, Charles Thomas and Alice Jane ALEXANDER; John and Alice Beatrice KING
3, Robert Henry and Mary Sophie SIMS
5, Arthur Ernest and Frances Lilian NEIL; Ellen Julia KETTLE
7, Henry John, Florence Annie and Beatrice Minnie SIMPSON
9, Herbert John and Alice SMITH
11, John and Edith Maude BUTTERS
13, Ernest William and Gertrude Florence STONE
15, Harold Sydney and Gladys Victoria HAMMOND

17, Victor John Bertha and Charlotte KING
19, Amelia BINNS; Ellen HATCHER; Robert ROBERTSON
21, Stephen Daniel and Mary Ellen HIGGINS; Michael DONOVAN; Soloman BECKETT; Thomas O’DWYER
23, William Henry and Pansy Grace FULLBROOK
25, Michael Thomas and Margaret Ada COLLINS
27, Albert, Emily and Maud SIMMONDS

2, Frederick Ernest and Kate Eva HOLLAMBY
4, Robert Albert and Ada Elizabeth GREEN
6, William Horace and Elizabeth Phoebe TEASDALE
8, Henry Herman and Grace Eveline BENSBERG; James and Emma SATCHELL
10, Robert and Amy LEWIS; Albert HEPPER
12, Arthur James and May Beatrice ANGUS
14, Augusta CRAMPTON


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Rose Nursery

Weatherboarded cottage in Tramway Path.

There are two photos of this cottage on the City of London ‘Collage’ collection, both with the year of 1977, so perhaps it was demolished after that.

Image courtesy of Collage - The London Picture Library - http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk

1977 Image courtesy of Collage – The London Picture Library – http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk

Image courtesy of Collage - The London Picture Library - http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk

1977 Image courtesy of Collage – The London Picture Library – http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk

From the 1911 commercial directory:

Arthur George & Ephraim SIMMONS, florists, Tramway path, Lower Mitcham

The 1915 street directory names the cottage:

Tramway Path, from London Road, Lower Mitcham

George THOMPSON, florist (Station Nursery)
Ephraim SIMMONS, florist (Rose Nursery)

The cottage is shown on this 1953 OS map:

1953 OS map

1953 OS map

An area in the south ward called Simmons’ Land was recorded in UDC minutes of 1917 as being of 13 acres. This land was used for allotments during the war. From the minutes of the Mitcham Urban District council, volume III, 1917 to 1918, 19th June, 1917, page 52.

Agnes Clarrissa Simmons, the daughter of Arthur George Simmons, married Private Percy John Hale in February 1916. She lived with her parents in Elmwood Road.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Urban District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Worthington Close

New road with housing off east side of Tamworth Park, north of Commonside East and south of Tamworth Lane. The road is parallel to Tamworth Park. There are 33 properties in this road, numbered consecutively from 1 to 33, all with the postcode CR4 1JQ.

aerial view looking towards the east

aerial view looking towards the east

Possibly built in 1988 or 1989. Planning permission 88/P1199 was applied for in 1988 for Numbers 54/56 and land and premises rear of numbers 2-52, Tamworth Park, Mitcham
for the redevelopment of site by the erection of 6 x three bedroom houses 6 x three bedroom flats 12 x two bedroom flats and 19 x one bedroom flats together with associated parking and landscaping. This application was refused and an appeal was lodged, with that being refused as well. The LB Merton planning website doesn’t however show the application that was allowed for the current development, which is of 4 blocks, 2 of flats, and 2 terraces of houses.

This 1910 OS map shows that a field, numbered 268, of 1.182 acres, where Worthington Close is now.

1910 OS Map

1910 OS Map


The Tithe Apportionment Map of 1846 shows that this field was part of the land owned by John Watney.

The 1938 OS map shows a cluster of buildings at the north end of this field.

1938 OS Map

1938 OS Map

The 1953 OS map helps to identify these buildings:

1953 OS map

1953 OS map


On the map, there is one building with a number: 54. The houses in Tamworth Park are numbered to 52 before the access road to these buildings, and 56 after, so the address of this is 54 Tamworth Park. This was the address of the Tamworth Park Construction Company, which built Tamworth Park. It was owned by Joseph Owen, who donated the land for the Mitcham Library.

Other occupants of 54 Tamworth Park included the company Hyrax Lubricants Ltd., which applied for a trademark in 1940 for its product “Hyrax-Petrecon”.

Planning application MIT1836, dated 21st December, 1955, has a B.S. Bartlett of 54 Tamworth Park being permitted use of part of 54 Tamworth Park for a garage and motor repair business. It is believed that this property continued to be used for car repairs until the mid 1980s (from a comment on the Facebook Mitcham History Group).

Allen Bros (Mitcham), Ltd.

360/364 London Road

Car sales and repair business on west side of London Road, south of the White Hart pub and on the north side of the corner with Broadway Gardens.

Clip from Merton Memories photo, copyright London Borough of Merton.

The site was used by KwikFit for a number of years, as seen in this 2008 Google StreetView:

These aerial views are from Bing:

kwikfit-to-north

kwikfit-to-south

The site was bought by a property developer who wanted to build a block of flats. With the KwikFit signage removed, parts of the original words used by Allen Bros could be seen.

September 2014

September 2014

September 2014. Allen Bros (Mitcham) can just be seen revealed after KwikFit signage was removed.

September 2014. Allen Bros (Mitcham) can just be seen revealed after KwikFit signage was removed.

Demolition began in early December 2016.

13th December 2016

13th December 2016

Photo taken on 2nd January 2017

Photo taken on 2nd January 2017


From 1953 Who’s Who in the Motor Industry digitised by Grace’s Guide to British Industrial History:

Car and Light Commercial Vehicle Stockists.
360, London Road, Mitcham, Surrey.
Telephone: 0867.

Directors:
M.D. Allen.
Lt. Col. F.E. Manning O.B.E.
P.L. Smith.
H.F. Priest.


Merton Memories Photos
Mr. F.E.Manning, with his son in the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run in 1957
Vintage car outside Allen Bros. Garage


Advertised as the Broadway Garage in 1937:
1937 ad

1937 ad

Rhodes Cottage

A house on Cricket Green, when it was previously called Lower Green East. Demolished.

It was possibly next to White House, Cricket Green. It may have been owned by Walter Charles Rhoades. In the 1915 electoral register he is listed as living at 183 Bedford Hill, Balham, and owning “Two cottages east side of Lower green”.

The 1953 OS map shows ‘White House’ and the entrance to The Birches is just north of it.

The 1910 OS Map shows a building next to White House which may have been Rhodes Cottage.

1953 OS Map

1953 OS Map

1910 OS map

1910 OS map

This clip from a 1910 photo on Merton Memories shows a building to the left of White House, which may have been Rhodes Cottage.

1910 clip from Merotn Memories photo 51702. Copyright London Borough of Merton

1910 clip from Merton Memories photo 51702. Copyright London Borough of Merton

1903

1903


Electoral registers show this as Rhoades or Rheades Cottage.

From the minutes of the Croydon Rural District Council
Mitcham Parochial Committee
24th April, 1906
Page 80

Nuisances: “Rhodes Cottage” and “White House” Lower Green.
Inspector Rabbetts reported the existence of nuisances at these premises, arising from the defective condition of the drains. Resolved, That the Inspector of Nuisances be authorised to serve notice on the owner, Mr. A. R. Harwood, of London Road, Mitcham, requiring the abatement of said nuisances.


Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Church Path

Road to south of Church Road, opposite parish church. On the west corner is a disused building called La Sport Community Centre. It was originally built around 1937 as the Church Road Welfare Centre.

1953-os-map-church-path-left

1953 OS map

On the west side of the road, leading south from Church Road are two terraces of houses : John’s Place and Maple Terrace.

At the southern end of the road there is a footpath, of the same name, that heads south east towards London Road, where it is a road again, with houses on its north side.

1953 OS map

1953 OS map