Tag Archives: 1952

250 and 252 London Road

A building in London Road, between the Kings Arms pub and Sibthorpe Road.

Photo taken 27th August 2017 (a Sunday morning)

In this 1952 OS map, numbers 250 and 252 are south of 248 on the west side of London Road, opposite the Buck’s Head pub.

1952 OS map

This clip of Mitcham ‘High Street’ as was called then, is from around 1900, and shows the left the old Kings Arms pub. Numbers 250 and 252 are to the left of the Oil Colour Stores’ that has ‘No. 8’ between the windows on the first floor.

c. 1900 clip from Merton Memories photo 51472, copyright London Borough of Merton

From the 1891 directory (the shops were numbered from 1 going north):

1, Henry COLLBRAN, butcher
2, S.E. BURTON, stationer
3, Charles GOULD, The Kings’ Arms Public House
4, Mrs H. LACK, draper
5, John CUMMINGS, greengrocer
6, Joseph COOK, butcher
7, T.P. SHEPPARD, grocer
8, William BARTER, grocer
9, George Joseph DALE, news agent

— here is Sibthorpe Road

10, James MOULAND, Pawnbroker
11, William Henry JENNER, ironmonger
12, Charles MACRO, hair dresser
13, C. SAUNDERS & Co., grocers
14, William COURT, baker
15, MOULAND & BENNETT, Watchmakers

Hence numbers 6 and 7 High Street are now 252 and 250 London Road.

A photo from 1895 shows it looking north.

1895 clip from Merton Memories photo 51748, copyright London Borough of Merton

The 1925 street directory still referred to the High Street. In 1926/7 London Road was renumbered.

Charles A. HUDSON, Kings Arms hotel
2 & 4, H. LACK, draper
5, John CUMMINGS, fruiterer
6, G. DUTRIEZ, butcher
7, W.H. FIELD & Son, wine merchant
8, E. & A.M., grocers
9, A.E. DALE, news agent

— here is Sibthorpe Road

10 & 11, W.J. HYDE, pawnbroker
12, H. MACRO, hair dresser
13, Miss H.M. HICKS, milliner
14, M. HICKS & Sons, bakers
15, G.H. HUDSON, watch maker

Number 6, now 252, was a butchers shop in 1891. In 1939 it was occupied by A. SPICER, as shown in this ad:

1939 ad

In the 1954 phone directory, it was occupied by HEARN & Sons, Family Butchers.

Number 7, now 250, was a wine merchants as shown in the 1925 directory. In the 1954 phone directory it was occupied by H.A. PAINE as Wine, Spirit Merchant. In 1967 it was called by Paines of Mitcham, trading as an off license, as shown in this ad:

1976 ad for 250 London Road

Advertisements

Mortuary Chapel in parish churchyard

In 1882, the parish church’s burial ground was enlarged and a mortuary chapel was built by Crockett at a cost of £1,761, as referred to in an advertised tender in the Surrey Mirror. (Adjusted for inflation, this was the equivalent of around £200,000 today.)

An entrance from Church Road was made, opposite the post office (later 71 Church Road). A path from this entrance led to a circular path in front the chapel.

The new burial ground was consecrated on 15th January 1883 by the Bishop of Rochester.

This 1910 Ordnance Survey map shows the entrance to the chapel as being opposite the letter box on the west side of Church Road. Another building is shown north east of the chapel, along the wall with Miles Road. The entrance that is there today is not shown and it is not known whether this building was related to the mortuary chapel.

1910 OS map


When Mitcham became part of the London Borough of Merton in 1965, the Coroner decided that autopsies and inquests would be performed at Battersea for both Merton and Wandsworth. This decision was recorded in the minutes of the Parks, Cemeteries and Allotments Committee dated 26th May 1965:

612. Mitcham and Wimbledon Mortuaries

The Director of Parks reported

(i) that following the reorganisation of the London boroughs, H.M. Coroner had decided that as from the 1st April, 1965, he will hold all inquests for both the London boroughs of Merton and Wandsworth at the Battersea Coroner’s Court and that consequently all autopsies on bodies will be carried out at the Battersea Mortuary; and

(ii) that no request has been made to use the Wimbledon and Mitcham mortuaries which had been kept in readiness since the 1st April in case local funeral directors wish to use them as Chapels of Rest, and

(iii) that consequently there seemed to be no necessity to keep the mortuaries available particularly as some financial arrangements would have to be agreed with the London Borough of Wandsworth for bodies admitted to the Battersea Mortuary from this borough.

Source: Minutes of proceedings of the council and committees, London Borough of Merton Council Minutes, 1965-66, volume 2, part 1.

Today, nothing is left of the chapel building, although the circular path remains. It is currently not known when it was demolished.

Photo taken 26th April 2017 of plot where mortuary chapel once stood.

Measurements made using the online map show the length of 45 feet along its east-west side, and its depth of 30 feet along its north-south side.

Inquests were held at the Mortuary Chapel. Here are links to some newspaper articles that reported them.

1895 Death from pleurisy
1910 Miss Ellen Peerless, of the Ship Laundry


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.


Minutes of meetings held by the London Borough of Merton are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Duncan’s Cottages and Stanley Villas

Two terraces of houses, on the east side of Western Road, near to and north of the corner with Bond Road.

Council minutes in 1902 refer to a planning permission for six houses, which could be for Stanley Villas:

No. 2116, Simmons E. & A., 6 cottages, Western Road Road, Mitcham

Source: Croydon Rural District Council Minutes, Volume VIII 1902 – 1903, 22nd May 1902, page 112.

It’s possible that E. & A. Simmons were Ephraim and Arthur, brothers who were nurserymen, see Rose Nursery.


This 1911 OS map shows 6 houses on the left which are likely to be Stanley Villas, and the next group of 4, Duncan Cottages. The house on its own at the corner with Bond Road (opposite Fountain Place) was Grosvenor House.

1911 OS map.

1911 OS map.

The 1911 census shows the occupants:

Stanley Villas
1, Thomas JONES, 44, labourer in gas works
2, Edith MASON, 42, of private means
3, William PARKIN, 62, leather dresser
4, Michael O’SULLIVAN, 53, carman and contractor
5, William PAYNE, 64, gardener
6, John William KIMPTON, 40, wheelwright

Duncan Cottages
1, Albert E. BLAND, 29, gas fitter at Mitcham Gas co.
2, George JANSON, 46, gardener & contractor
3, John DRAPER, 35, foreman in tea warehouse
4, Thomas HERMITAGE, 34, furnace stoker in Holborn Union Workhouse

The 1925 street directory shows an extra two houses have been added to Duncan Cottages. The houses were numbered in the directory, going south, 6 to 1 Stanley Villas and then 1 to 6 Duncan Cottages:

Stanley Villas
6, John Henry KIMPTON
5, Albert NEWELL
4, Michael SULLIVAN
3, Mrs LOCKYER
2, George ALWYN
1, Thomas JONES

Duncan Cottages
1, John TILLEY, cycle maker
2, John LAWRENCE
3, John DRAPER
4, James DAVIS
5, William John DAVIS
6, Sidney Harry COLEMAN

The 1952 OS map shows that the houses have been renumbered as part of Western Road.

1952 OS map

1952 OS map


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.


Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Bridge Road

Road that was off east, or right-hand, side of Christchurch Road, opposite Runnymede. It was closed in 1966.

In this 1952 OS map, the road is shown with a single terrace of eleven houses on the north side, numbered sequentially 1 to 11.

1952 OS map

1952 OS map

Aerial photo from 1947 shows the row of houses on the left side of the road.

29th April 1947 from Britain From Above

29th April 1947 from Britain From Above

Aerial photo from 1949 shows the road looking to the west. The dome atop the tower on the right was Frys Metals factory.

19th March 1949 from Britain From Above

19th March 1949 from Britain From Above

It is not mentioned in the 1891 street directory, but does have an entry in the 1911 commercial directory:

1, Harry Isaac CAVENDER, picture frame maker

and in the 1915 directory:

1, Henry BRYANT, confectioner

The road was closed in 1966:

Bridge Road is to be closed down

Bridge Road, a cul-de-sac off Christchurch Road, Mitcham is to be closed. Merton Council have given planning permission to Frys Metal Foundries Ltd., for redevelopment which involves the closing of the road.

The road was originally the principle means of access to residential properties which have since been demolished. It now serves the factory premises only.

RIGHTS OF ACCESS

The council agreed to give permission provided the council’s right of adequate access to the public sewers were preserved.

Also provided that the owner of the factory should take over the responsibility for the street lamps and cables in the road, and also bear any costs incurred in closing the road.

Frys have also offered land near Bridge Road to the council free of charge for the proposed widening of Christchurch Road. The offer has been accepted.

Source: Mitcham News & Mercury, 13th May, 1966, page 1.

Occupants in 1939

1, Leonard Douglas and Elizabeth HAYNES
2, Mary Jane and Rosa FISK
3, William Charles and Alice Louisa and Christopher ADAMS
4, James and Maude BURLING
5, Robert and Gertrude MARSHALL
6, Alfred and Mabel Frances FORD
7, Robert and Doris May TAYLOR; Edith Mahala FRISWELL
8, James Alfred and Sarah Ellen DURLING
9, Henry William and Rose Florence and Florance DALTON
10, Ernest John and Flora BURLING
11, Charles Walter and Susan FRANCIS


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

James Chuter Ede, Mitcham MP in 1923

10th March, 1923. Image © Illustrated London News Group. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

Right Honourable James Chuter Ede, P.C. (1944), M.P., son of James Ede, of Epsom.

Born 1882; educated Dorking High School and Chrit’s College Cambridge.
Married 1917 to Lilian Mary (died 1948), daughter of Richard Williams, of Plymouth.

Served in Great War with 5th East Surrey regiment and special brigade of R.E.

D.L. (Deputy Lieutenant) (1931), J.P. (1923).

Chairman of Surrey County Council 1933-37; M.P. (Labour) Surrey (Mitcham division) in 1923 and South Shields 1929-31 and from 1935. Parliamentary Secretary to Minister of Education 1940-45, Secretary of state, Home Office 1945-51.

Leader of the House of Commons 1951.

Chairman of London and Home Counties Joint Electricity Authority 1934-40.

Oxford and Cambridge Club.

7 Tayles Hill, Ewell, Surrey.

Source: Kelly’s Handbook to the Titled, Landed & Official Classes, 1952 from Find My Past (subscription required)

He died at Ewell, Surrey, in November 1965, aged 83.

More information on wikipedia.

Reverend Pratt, Bishop of Zululand

Bishop of Zululand, the right reverend Eric Joseph Trapp, B.A., son of late Archibald Edward Trapp, of Coventry.

Born 1910; educated Leeds University and Mirfield Theological College; married in 1937 to Edna Noreen, daughter of late Mrs Thornton, of Leicester; 2 daughters.

Ordained 1934, curate of St Olave’s, Mitcham, Surrey, 1934-37, director of Masite Mission 1937-40, canon of Bloemfontein Cathedral 1944-47, bishop of Zululand from 1947.

Bishophurst, Esgowe, Zululand, Africa.

Source: Kelly’s Handbook to the Titled, Landed & Official Classes, 1952 from Find My Past (subscription required)