Road that was off east, or right-hand, side of Christchurch Road, opposite Runnymede. It was closed in 1966.
In this 1952 OS map, the road is shown with a single terrace of eleven houses on the north side, numbered sequentially 1 to 11.
1952 OS map
Aerial photo from 1947 shows the row of houses on the left side of the road.
29th April 1947 from Britain From Above
Aerial photo from 1949 shows the road looking to the west. The dome atop the tower on the right was Frys Metals factory.
19th March 1949 from Britain From Above
It is not mentioned in the 1891 street directory, but does have an entry in the 1911 commercial directory:
1, Harry Isaac CAVENDER, picture frame maker
and in the 1915 directory:
1, Henry BRYANT, confectioner
The road was closed in 1966:
Bridge Road is to be closed down
Bridge Road, a cul-de-sac off Christchurch Road, Mitcham is to be closed. Merton Council have given planning permission to Frys Metal Foundries Ltd., for redevelopment which involves the closing of the road.
The road was originally the principle means of access to residential properties which have since been demolished. It now serves the factory premises only.
RIGHTS OF ACCESS
The council agreed to give permission provided the council’s right of adequate access to the public sewers were preserved.
Also provided that the owner of the factory should take over the responsibility for the street lamps and cables in the road, and also bear any costs incurred in closing the road.
Frys have also offered land near Bridge Road to the council free of charge for the proposed widening of Christchurch Road. The offer has been accepted.
Source: Mitcham News & Mercury, 13th May, 1966, page 1.
Occupants in 1939
1, Leonard Douglas and Elizabeth HAYNES
2, Mary Jane and Rosa FISK
3, William Charles and Alice Louisa and Christopher ADAMS
4, James and Maude BURLING
5, Robert and Gertrude MARSHALL
6, Alfred and Mabel Frances FORD
7, Robert and Doris May TAYLOR; Edith Mahala FRISWELL
8, James Alfred and Sarah Ellen DURLING
9, Henry William and Rose Florence and Florance DALTON
10, Ernest John and Flora BURLING
11, Charles Walter and Susan FRANCIS
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.