Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
An unusual linking of brewery interest is brought to notice by an announcement to-day from Nalder & Collyer’s Brewery Co. (Ltd.) This Company has a capital of £660,000 in £130,000 Ordinary and £530,000 Preference shares. Practically all the Ordinary and 90 per cent, of the Preference are held by the City of London Brewery and Investment Trust (Ltd.) This latter, now mainly an investment trust, has a considerable holding in Ind Coope & Allsopp (Ltd.) and also an indirect interest in Ind Coope through Nalder & Collyer, which in March last year sold a number of its properties to Ind Coope & Allsopp (Ltd.) for a total consideration of £2,200,353, paid partly in cash and partly in Ind Coope Debentures, Preference, and Ordinary stocks.
The directors of Nalder & Collyer are now going to distribute part of the Ind Coope Ordinary to the Company’s Ordinary shareholders and the bulk of these shares will of course go to the City of London Brewery and Investment Trust (Ltd.) For every £10 Nalder & Collyer Ordinary will be given £2 of Ind Coope Ordinary, making the total distribution £26,000 nominal, worth at the current market price £162,500. Accompanying this announcement is a final dividend of 20 per cent plus a 10 per cent cash bonus, making, with the interim of 25 per cent., a total of 55 per cent, as before, which of course also goes mainly to the controlling company. There is a free market in City of London Brewery 5s Deferred Ordinary units now standing around 20s. a price which indicates long-standing hopes of a capital bonus. Last year’s dividend was only 6 per cent. The next accounts are to June 30 next and are due in July.
Source: The Scotsman – Friday 07 May 1937 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)
Nalder & Collyer owned the Horse and Groom, Kings Head (later Burn Bullock), Ravensbury Arms, Three Kings, Swan, Windmill.
Cycle shop at 105 London Road, north of and next to the Gardeners Arms pub. Owned and run by Ernie Chambers.
Opened in 1936 or 1937, as described in the Mitcham Town Guide of 1937:
… a newly established business, but old in experience. Ernie Chambers, whom you can regard as your friend and adviser, has been in the cycle trade for many years, and can back this up with a wealth of cycle racing experience, vouched for by the fact that he has ridden for England in three Olympiads, in 1928, 1932 and 1935, a record unequalled by any other cyclist. Here then is a real cyclist that understands a cyclist’s needs. All the leading makes of cycles are stocked. Everything for the cyclist who uses his machine for business, touring, racing or pleasure.
All repairs are promptly and skilfully executed on the premises no job too large or too small.
ERNIE CHAMBERS for ..
Cycle and Cycle-Motors
Hand Built 49 c.c. bicycle motor
Cash or Easy Terms
25 Guineas (terms available)
12 Months Guarantee
105 London Road, Mitcham
360/364 London Road
Car sales and repair business on west side of London Road, south of the White Hart pub and on the north side of the corner with Broadway Gardens.
The site was used by KwikFit for a number of years, as seen in this 2008 Google StreetView:
These aerial views are from Bing:
The site was bought by a property developer who wanted to build a block of flats. With the KwikFit signage removed, parts of the original words used by Allen Bros could be seen.
Demolition began in early December 2016.
From 1953 Who’s Who in the Motor Industry digitised by Grace’s Guide to British Industrial History:
Car and Light Commercial Vehicle Stockists.
360, London Road, Mitcham, Surrey.
Lt. Col. F.E. Manning O.B.E.
Councillor for the West Ward for Mitcham Borough Council in 1938. He lived in Steers Mead.
FAMILY TAKEN ILL: TWO CHILDREN DIE.
Diphtheria is suspected as the cause of the death of two little sisters who have died within a few hours of each other. In their home at Steers Mead, Mitcham, gaily decorated for the holiday, looking forward to their Christmas fare which they were unable to touch, the daughters of Mr. Victor George Pullen, a Mitcham councillor, were taken suddenly ill. Vera Ivy May, aged five, died at home on Sunday night. Elsie, aged nine, was taken to hospital, Monday, and died there.
Source: Shepton Mallet Journal – Friday 01 January 1937 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)
For around 30 years it was possible for the public to call the fire brigade without using a telephone. Fire alarms were made available across the town, mounted on posts, typically near factories.
Each alarm, when pulled, would send its number to the fire station, using a direct line. The fire brigade would know where to send the crew, who would be able to work out for themselves where the fire was when they got there.
The alarms were withdrawn from service in 1953.
In 1937 the chief fire officer’s report gave a list of the locations of the 36 fire alarm posts. OS maps show the position of an alarm as ‘F A P’, or ‘Fire Alarm Post’.
From the minutes of the
Fire Brigade, Baths and Library Committee
Tuesday, 14th April, 1937
Gamewell Closed Circuit Fire Alarm System, in three circuits, with 36 succession type boxes, four circuit switchboard, automatic repeater, and visual indicator.
|Station fire alarm||55|
|Church Road corner of Batsworth Road||15|
|Western Road junction of Church Road||18|
|High Street Colliers Wood outside tube station||23|
|Denison Road opposite Miller Road||25|
|High Street Colliers Wood corner Robinson Road||27|
|Norfolk Road opposite Harewood Road||31|
|Hawks Road junction of Turner Avenue||35|
|Fleming Mead junction of Alexandra Road||36|
|Tooting Junction near Grenfell Road||42|
|Links Road corner of Hailsham Road||44|
|Seely Road opposite Cromer Road||46|
|Woodlands corner of Cavendish Road||51|
|Upper Green corner of Upper Green West||53|
|Lavender Avenue corner of Steers Mead||54|
|Haslemere Road junction of Church Road||61-16|
|Streatham Road junction of London Road||113|
|Streatham Road opposite Pascalls||115|
|Streatham Road corner of Park Avenue||117|
|Greyhound Terrace corner of Marian Road||121|
|Grove Road between Woodstock and Warminster Way||123|
|Carshalton Road near Mitcham Junction||152|
|London Road opposite Morden Road||164|
|Edgehill Road opposite Beecholme Avenue||231|
|Caesars Walk opposite Walsingham Road||243|
|Bramcote Avenue opposite Mitcham Park||131-10|
|Stanford Road junction of Windermere Road||125|
|Northborough Road opposite Beckway Road||128|
|Manor Road near Robinhood Close||133|
|Castleton Road junction of Commonside East||134|
|Commonside East corner of Tamworth Park||141|
|Sherwood Park Road opposite Lexden Road||143|
|Rowan Road corner of Stanford Way||212|
|Beech Grove junction of Dahlia Gardens||213|
|Galpins Road corner or Manton Way||215|
|Longthornton Road junction of Rowan Road||223-10|
This list was part of a report by the Chief Officer, Albert G. Wells, M.I.Fire. E.
Fire Alarm Posts are identified by the letters F A P on the map.
In 1937 the Mitcham Borough Council proposed to widen the London Road, from Church Path to Gorringe Park Avenue. They wanted to make it 44 feet wide, which would allow its division into twin carriageways with island refuges.
Land would be bought and buildings were to be demolished. The Town Clerk read out the plans in the Borough Minutes of 14th January 1937.
A dairy at number 356 was to remain but numbers 358 to 360 had to go. Land was to be taken from the cricket green opposite Vestry Hall. The Borough Engineer’s Supplementary Report said that it would cost an estimated £9,000 to build a replacement Bucks Head pub which would be given to the brewery when the existing one was be demolished. Land was to be taken from the Holborn Schools, and forecourts of numbers 182 to 200, with the widening north of the Swan to be taken from the Figges Marsh.
Protest groups lodged their complaints of the scheme.
On 8th March 1937 the Council met to discuss the letters submitted by Mitcham Cricket Club, Commons, Open Spaces and Footpaths Preservation Society, the Mitcham and District Chamber of Commerce and the Cricket Club Conference. These groups protested the incursion into the cricket green and it was the Common, Open Spaces and Footpaths Preservation Society, that drew attention to the provisions of the Mitcham Urban District Council Act, 1923. The Town Clerk said he had passed this point onto the counsel for the Urban District Councils Association. In other words the council sought legal advice.
The advice the Borough Council received was that taking land from the cricket green was illegal. The Town Clerk instructed the Borough Engineer to come up with an alternative. On 2nd April 1937 he reported back that it was impossible.
The scheme was abandoned.
14th January 1937
I lay before you plans and estimates for the widening of London Road from Church Path to Gorringe Park Avenue. The widening of this road forms part of the Council’s Five Year Programme for the years 1937-8, 1938-9 and 1939-40. A carriageway 44 feet in width is proposed, to allow of the division into twin carriageways with island refuges.
The property at 356, London Road, occupied as a dairy, is to remain, and the footway at this point will be 8 feet wide instead of the normal width of 10 feet. The widening will necessitate the demolition of numbers 358 to 380, London Road.
Widening is continued along the Cricket Green frontage, where are footway is proposed 6 feet in width and also on the west side of the road, commencing at the Town Hall, the necessary land being taken from the Lower Green, with a footway 10 feet wide.
Between Lower Green East and the Fair Green the widening is wholly on the west side, the buildings involved being numbers 274 to 286.
The existing carriageway at the Fair Green varies in width from 41 feet to 43 feet.
Northwards from the Fair Green, property involved is No.1, St. Marks Road and numbers 205 to 223, London Road, the latter being the “Bucks Head” P.H.
Land has already been obtained for widening between the Public Baths and the Library, and the next buildings involved are those are north of the Library.
Widening is proposed along the frontage of the Holborn Schools, including part of the property 218, London Road and the forecourts of the properties numbers 182 to 200 and the front of building 180, London Road.
From Streatham Road to Gorringe Park, the whole of the widening is to take place along the frontage of Figges Marsh.
14th January 1937
In relation to the “Bucks Head” public house part of the above widening scheme I have now received the proposals of the brewers in connections therewith as follows:-
The Council to purchase five shops known as numbers 1,3,5,7 and 9, St Mark’s Road, and demolish and erected thereon licensed premises, and on completion the brewers to hand over the existing premises, which will provide a site for redevelopment of approximately 60 ft. frontage and a minimum depth of 74 ft.
I estimate the cost of erecting premises of the same capacity as the existing “Buck’s Head” public house will amount to approximately £9,000.
To arrive at the total cost involved, a valuer’s estimate of the cost of acquiring the property in St. Mark’s Road as against the value of the site available for redevelopment and the value the of the land to be thrown into the highway for widening purposes is required.
8th March 1937
Mitcham Cricket Green
The Town Clerk submitted letters from the Mitcham Cricket Club, Commons, Open Spaces and Footpaths Preservation Society, the Mitcham and District Chamber of Commerce and the Cricket Club Conference, setting out reasons for opposition to the proposals of the Council for the widening of the London Road, in so far as they would affect the Mitcham Cricket Green, and in the case of the Common, Open Spaces and Footpaths Preservation Society, drawing attention to the provisions of the Mitcham Urban District Council Act, 1923. The Town Clerk reported that he had submitted the legal point raised by the Society to the counsel for the Urban District Councils Association, and the reply from counsel was read, to the effect that under the terms of the Mitcham Urban District Council act, 1923, Section 6, the council were precluded from carrying out the widening scheme upon the lines proposed, and if the Council desired to persist it would be necessary to apply to the Minister of Health for Provisional Order under Section 303 Public Health Act, 1875.
Resolved, that the Borough Engineer be instructed to submit to the Committee proposals for the amendment of the scheme to comply with the provisions of the Mitcham Urban District Council Act, 1923.
Borough Engineer reports it is impossible to prepare an alternative scheme for the widening of London Road along the Cricket Green frontage that would comply with the provisions of the Mitcham Urban District Act 1923.
After all the protest meetings, passing of resolutions and the strong criticisms made regarding the proposal to take a portion of Mitcham Cricket Green for the widening of London-road, the Mitcham Borough Council found that, in
any case, the scheme could not be carried out, because it contravened the
Mitcham Urban District Council Act of 1923. Apparently nobody realised this
when the scheme was being drawn up, neither the Councillors nor the officials,
and it was not until the point had been raised by a protesting body that the
position was discovered. Counsel’s opinion was taken, and the Council was
informed that the scheme could not be carried out without contravening the
Act. At the Council meeting last week the Highways Committee expressed surprise
at the legal decision, and declared their innocence. The Council had
really no alternative but to ask the Borough Engineer to submit other proposals
which would avoid interference with the Cricket Green. The Chairman
of the Highways Committee said they were giving the official an almost
impossible task, because he did not believe there was a way in which the road
could be widened without encroachment on the Cricket Green.