Tag Archives: 1930

Russell Road

Road off west side of Glebe Path, connecting to Love Lane.

Houses are numbered, from west to east, from 1 to 38. They all have the postcode CR4 3AP. Number 1 is divided into 3 flats. There are four terraces of houses. From Love Lane on the north side, houses are numbered odd 1 to 21, and on the south side even 2 to 24. At the Glebe Path end, the terrace on the north side is numbered odd 23 to 31 and on the south side 26 to 38. Source: Royal Mail postcode finder.

It is believed that the road is named after Athel Russell Harwood, as is the nearby Harwood Avenue.

1953 OS map

The Glebe Path end of this road was originally called Bounty Place, presumably a reference to Queen Anne’s Bounty. It was renamed to be an extension of Russell Road, and hence renumbered, by Mitcham Urban District Council in 1930. Source: Mitcham UDC minutes, 24th June, 1930, page 171.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Advertisements

Blake Road

Road off Miles Road that leads to Collingwood and Rodney Roads. Built in 1930, by Mr J. Sands.

According to minutes of the Mitcham Urban Council, the original name suggested for this road was Felix Road, and that for Collingwood Road was San Road. The council suggested to Mr Sands the current names. Source: page 813, volume XV, Highways and Buildings Committee, 6th March 1930.

No houses were built on Blake Road. However it does have a block of four flats, numbered 1 to 4, at 30 Blake Road, CR4 3FB. This is a block between the Lloyds Pharmacy, at 75 to 79 Miles Road, and the terrace of houses in that end at number 69. The ground floor of this block facing Miles Road is number 71 in that road, occupied by a carpet and upholstery cleaning business. The entrance to the flats is in Blake Road.

1953 OS map


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Urban District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Public Convenience opposite Ravensbury Arms

1962 clip from Merton memories photo, reference Mit_​Streets_​Col_​Cro_​16-5 copyright London Borough of Merton

Built around 1930/1 as discussed as item (3) below in the council minutes of the Mitcham Urban District council, volume XVI, 1930 to 1931, page 101

PUBLIC CONVENIENCES.

The Surveyor submitted the following report June 3rd, 1930.

Dear Mr. Chart,

Re SITES FOR PUBLIC CONVENIENCES.

I suggest to the Committee the following’ sites for their consideration :

(1) Short cul-de-sac roadway off High Street, Colliers Wood,
opposite Christchurch Road, and adjacent to The Victory PH.

(2) The northern extremity of Figges Marsh, at the junction of
Gorringe Park Avenue and London Road.

(3) At the junction of New Road and Croydon Road, adjacent to the Ravensbury Arms.

The first one will drain to the sewer by gravitation, and in the remaining two positions pumping will have to be resorted to.

I think that it is essential that the conveniences in the first two positions be constructed underground, but with respect to the third site, the Committee might consider incorporating the existing tramway shelter in an overground convenience at this point.

If the general opinion is in favour of underground, the alternative to No. 3 would be at the other end of New Road, at its junction with Commonside East. I think that it is just possible to drain an underground convenience by gravitation into the soil sewer.

Yours obediently,

RILEY SCHOFIELD, Assoc.M.Inst.C.E.,
Engineer and Surveyor.

RESOLVED, That the Surveyor be instructed to prepare a further report showing the cost of providing sanitary conveniences at Colliers Wood on the site suggested.

Note that New Road is now called Cedars Avenue.

1953 OS map


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Urban District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

234 to 240 London Road

On the west side of London Road, this is currently a 1960s three storey building that replaced a row of shops that had formed part of the old High Street.

Clip from Merton Memories photo 27990, copyright London Borough of Merton

1952 OS map

This clip from a Merton Memories photo was taken in 1961, and shows the board announcing that numbers 234 to 240 are to be replaced by a new building.

Clip from Merton Memories photo 51738, copyright London Borough of Merton.

If you click on this clip to see the full photo on the Merton Memories website, you can see the businesses (from left to right) as:

240, C.F. HARDY, hairdressers
238, MONARCH, dyers and cleaners
236, KWIK KNIT CENTRE
234, GROVEPERT Ltd.

Numbers 12, 13, 14 and 15 were renumbered, (in 1926/7), to 240, 238, 236 and 234.

Occupants from street directories:
1891
12, Charles MACRO, hair dresser
13, C. SAUNDERS & Co., grocers
14, William COURT, baker
15, MOULAND & BENNETT, Watchmakers

1925
12, H. MACRO, hair dresser
13, Miss H.M. HICKS, milliner
14, M. HICKS & Sons, bakers
15, G.H. HUDSON, watch maker

1930
240, William J. KEMP, hair dresser
238, Miss Hilda Mary HICKS, milliner
236, M. HICKS & Sons, confectioners
234, Mrs. George Henry HUDSON, watch maker

Queen Anne’s Gardens

Cul-de-sac road that runs eastward from the north end of Glebe Path. Possibly built in 1928/9 as first mentioned in electoral registers of 1930.

Presumably named after the Queen Anne’s Bounty that bought land in this area as ‘glebes’: a source of income to support the local clergy.

In this 1953 OS map, the shaded area to the right hand side of number 14 was a pair of garages.

1953 OS map

1953 OS map

Houses are arranged in three terraces, two on the north side, numbers 1 to 13 and 15 to 27, and one on the south side, numbered 2 to 16.

Number 16 at the eastern end of the south side was added in 2010, on land that was occupied by the garages at the side of number 14, according to planning permission 10/P0102.

Number 27, at the eastern end of the road on the north side, was split into two properties, numbered 27 and 27A, in 1983/4, according to planning permission MER771/83.

Aerial view of Queen Annes Gardens, looking to the north.

Aerial view of Queen Annes Gardens, numbers (from left to right) 1 to 27, looking to the north.

Aerial view, looking northwards, of Queen Annes Gardens, numbers 2 to 16 (south side).

Aerial view, looking southwards, south side of Queen Annes Gardens, numbers (from right to left) 2 to 16.

According to tree planning applications 10/T2775 and 13/T1448, number 9 has a eucalyptus tree in its rear garden.

Occupants in 1930 from the Electoral Register
1, Charles Thomas and Alice Jane ALEXANDER; John and Alice Beatrice KING
3, Robert Henry and Mary Sophie SIMS
5, Arthur Ernest and Frances Lilian NEIL; Ellen Julia KETTLE
7, Henry John, Florence Annie and Beatrice Minnie SIMPSON
9, Herbert John and Alice SMITH
11, John and Edith Maude BUTTERS
13, Ernest William and Gertrude Florence STONE
15, Harold Sydney and Gladys Victoria HAMMOND

17, Victor John Bertha and Charlotte KING
19, Amelia BINNS; Ellen HATCHER; Robert ROBERTSON
21, Stephen Daniel and Mary Ellen HIGGINS; Michael DONOVAN; Soloman BECKETT; Thomas O’DWYER
23, William Henry and Pansy Grace FULLBROOK
25, Michael Thomas and Margaret Ada COLLINS
27, Albert, Emily and Maud SIMMONDS

2, Frederick Ernest and Kate Eva HOLLAMBY
4, Robert Albert and Ada Elizabeth GREEN
6, William Horace and Elizabeth Phoebe TEASDALE
8, Henry Herman and Grace Eveline BENSBERG; James and Emma SATCHELL
10, Robert and Amy LEWIS; Albert HEPPER
12, Arthur James and May Beatrice ANGUS
14, Augusta CRAMPTON


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Prince Georges Road

Road off east side of junction of Christchurch Road and Church Road, opposite Liberty Avenue. It was within the Mitcham Urban District although as letters were delivered from Merton, it acquired a SW19 post code.

In the 1891 street directory it was listed as Prince of Wales Road, probably in connection with the nearby Prince of Wales pub.

Prince of Wales road (Merton)
from Merton Lane
William Croft, pig dealer
Walter Shepherd, pig dealer
Henry Davison, pig dealer
Benjamin Bolton, pig dealer
Stephen Holloway, pig dealer
Charles Leaver, pig dealer
George Thatcher, pig dealer
Joseph Randall, pig dealer
Singlegate Schools

1895 OS map

1895 OS map

In this 1895 map, it is shown as Prince’s Road.

1911 OS map

1911 OS map

The 1915 directory shows 2 pig dealers:

Prince’s Road (Merton)
from Western Road

NORTH SIDE

Singlegate Council Schools
(girls & infants)

3 Robert Davison, pig dealer
11 William Whittick, pig dealer

The road led to land that used by London colleges as playing fields, as shown in the 1930 Commercial Directory:

Battersea & Chelsea Polytechnics, athletic ground, Princes rd. T N 0852
The Esco Sports & Social Club (A. P. Lawson, sec. ),Princes rd
James Ferguson & Sons Ltd. ebonite dust mfrs. Princes rd. T A “ Nestorius, Toot; ” T N 2283

Which has led to the names of the business parks College Fields, at the eastern end of Prince Georges Road and Chelsea Fields, off Western Road.

The name of this road was changed after a request by the London County Council. They said that there were 10 Prince’s Roads in the LCC area with 4 of these were in the SW19 district. The Borough of Mitcham decided in 1934 to change Princes Road to Prince Georges Road.

1952 OS map

1952 OS map

Eveline Villas

Two terraces, each of five shops with flats above, on the west side of London Road, divided by Eveline Road, which is at the junction with Streatham Road and Locks Lane.

In the 1915 street directory, the houses were shown as numbered from south to north: from 1 to 5 and then 6 to 10:

1, Ernest McINTYRE, M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., Lond., physician & surgeon (surgery)
2, William Henry CURTIS
3, Thomas Henry BAND
4, Ernest Alfred ARTHUR
5,
6, Henry Thomas HENCHER
7, Henry HORNCASTLE
8, Hugh ANDERSON
9, Mrs COOK
10, Charles Alexander HURRELL

(Occupant for number 5 wasn’t given in the 1915 directory.)

In the 1925 street directory:

1, Miss L. FROUDE, confectioner
2, Ernest REEVE, butcher
3, J.W. AUSTIN & Son, provision dealers
4,
5, Sidney BOREHAM
6, Charles LATHAM
7, William DRAKEFORD
8, Hugh ANDERSON
9, Ernest Alfred ARTHUR
10, William Arthur BLEACH

(Occupant for number 4 wasn’t given in the 1925 directory.)

Between 1925 and 1930, these houses were renumbered as part of London Road, north to south, 154 to 162, and 164 to 172.

In the 1930 commercial directory, the shop on the north corner with Eveline Road, originally numbered 6 Eveline Villas, is shown as no. 162 London Road:

The Swan Radio Co., wireless dealers, 162 London Road. Telephone 4009

1934 ad

1934 ad

1951 OS Map

1951 OS Map

There are two Merton Memories Photos from 1929, one looking north, the other, to the south.

World War 1 Connections
Private Francis Norton Drakeford

From the Surrey Recruitment Registers:

W A BLEACH of 1 Eveline Villas, aged 39 Years 10 Months, Carpenter. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 11 December 1915 to the Middlesex Regiment.

W S WHITE of 3 Eveline Villas, aged 33 Years 2 Months, Glazier. Conscripted on 10 May 1917 to the Royal Army Medical Corps.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.