Tag Archives: 1913

St Barnabas church

Church between Gorringe Park Avenue and St Barnabas Road, built in 1913/4. Designed by Henry Philip Burke Downing (1865 – 1947).

Foundation stone was laid on Saturday, 17th May, 1913, according to article in the Church Times, 23rd May, 1913, page 23 :

City of London School Mission.

On Saturday last the Lord Mayor, accompanied by the Sheriffs, drove down in state to Mitcham in order to lay the foundation-stone of the new Church of St Barnabas, which will be used in connexion with the City of London; School Mission. The service was conducted by the Bishop of Southwark, the Rev. E. J. Baker, the Mission priest, reading the Lesson. The Mission, which is conducted largely by the old boys of the City of London School, has been in existence for six years, and has done excellent work in this rapidly growing artisan area.

The new church, which will occupy a site in Gorringe Park, will have seating accommodation for 830 persons. The cost will be about £10,000, and £3,000 are still wanted, towards which £7,000 have already been contributed by public grants, funds raised by the School Mission Committee, and by the South London Church Fund. The raising of the remaining £3,000 is a matter of some concern to the Building Committee, The Bishop of Southwark expressed thanks for the generous sympathy, encouragement, and support of all connected with the City of London School. The Lord Mayor said that when the school decided to have a mission of its own it chose Mitcham, recognising that so many of the workers in the City resided there. Dr. Chilton, head master of the school, expressed thanks to the Lord Mayor, who has consented to receive at the Mansion House further contributions to the fund. The school Cadet Corps formed a guard of honour during the proceedings.

1934 OS map

For more, see the church’s website.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

1913 shooting competition Dover v Mitcham

SHOOTING. DOVER v. MITCHAM.

The Dover Rifle Club was unsuccessful in its first miniature match of the season at the Market. The scores were as follows:—

MITCHAM. DOVER.
Chart 99 Chatterley 97
Tenner 99 Jones 96
White 97 W. Webber 96
Rompel 97 Bromley 96
Harding 96 Gates 96
Baker 95 McKelvey 96
Harvey 94 Bayly 95
Webb 94 Martin 89
Palmer 93 Todd 89
White 91 Treleaven 85
955 935

Source: Dover Express – Friday 07 November 1913 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)

Oakwood Avenue

Road off north side of Lewis Road, near the Church Road end.

1913 OS map

1913 OS map

World War 1 Connections
From the Commonwealth War Graves Commission:

Rifleman Robert Langridge

Private Herbert Percy Andrews

Private Alfred Joseph Tracey

From the Surrey Recruitment Registers:

W G BRUNTON of 10 Oakwood Avenue, aged 25 Years 1 Months, Labourer. Conscripted on 23 November 1915 to the Royal Fusiliers (5th Batn).

T GODDING of 56 Oakwood Avenue, aged 31 Years 11 Months, Assistant. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 10 December 1915 to the Suffolk Regiment (1st Batn).

C F GOSNEY of 5 Oakwood Avenue, aged 18 Years 1 Months, Labourer. Joined on 8 April 1915 to the East Surrey Regiment.

R H HALL of 29 Oakwood Avenue, aged 37 Years 3 Months, Bus Inspector. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 12 December 1915 to the Royal West Surrey Regiment (3rd Batn).

G W HILLING of 40 Oakwood Ave Mitcham, aged 37 Years 11 Months, Clerk. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 13 May 1916 to the Army Veterinary Corps.

F INSTANCE of 25 Oakwood Avenue, aged 19 Years 8 Months, Labourer. Volunteered on 21 August 1915 to the Middlesex Regiment.

J A MANSELL of 47 Oakwood Avenue, aged 37 Years 2 Months, Agent Asst. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 11 May 1916 to the Royal Flying Corps.

F C MANSER of 19 Oakwood Avenue, aged 40 Years 5 Months, Telephone Operator. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 11 December 1915 to the Yorkshire & Lancashire Regiment.

L W MARTIN of 38 Oakwood Avenue, aged 34 Years 11 Months, Clerk. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 10 December 1915 to the Essex Regiment (4th Batn).

E A MINNS of 49 Oakwood Avenue, aged 38 Years 9 Months, Manager. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 7 December 1915 to the Durham Light Infantry (5th Batn).

J ROAKE of 13 Oakwood Avenue, aged 19 Years, Wireman. Volunteered on 19 November 1915 to the Royal Horse Artillery.

H SHARMAN of 38 Oakwood Avenue, aged 29 Years 1 Months, Motor Driver. Conscripted on 7 May 1917 to the Army Service Corps (mt).

G A SIVIOUR of 12 Oakwood Avenue, aged 25 Years 10 Months, Secretary. Conscripted on 11 December 1916 to the Royal Horse & Field Artillery.

C SMITH of 15 Oakwood Avenue, aged 37 Years 11 Months, Metal Worker. Conscripted on 10 December 1915 to the 3rd Training Reserve Batn.

T S STRAGNELL of 41 Oakwood Avenue, aged 35 Years 9 Months, Tarcutter. Conscripted on 10 December 1915 to the 63rd Rifles (naval Division).

J TAYLOR of 52 Oakwood Avenue, aged 17 Years 8 Months, Clerk. Conscripted on 7 February 1917 to the Army Service Corps (ht).

A TEDDER of 9 Oakwood Avenue, aged 30 Years 7 Months, Manager. Conscripted on 8 December 1916 to the Royal West Kent Regiment (3rd Batn).

H THOMAS of 14 Oakwood Avenue, aged 26 Years 8 Months, Chauffeur. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 12 December 1915 to the Army Service Corps (mt).

T C THORNTON of 17 Oakwood Avenue, aged 22 Years, Roundsman. Conscripted on 19 October 1916 to the Norfolk Regiment (2/6th Batn).


Occupants from 1915 street directory

from Lewis Road

WEST SIDE

1, Miss Louis LASENBY, shopkeeper
1A, Mrs GILBERT
3, Mrs GILL
5, George GOSNEY, estate office
7, George REYNOLDS
9, Arthur TEDDER
11, Henry Edward FOSTER
13, John William ROAKE
15, Charles SMITH
17, Alfred FRANKLIN
19, Frederick MANSER
21, Frederick WILLIAMS
25, Henry William INSTANCE
27, Henry DREWETT
29, Ernest Alfred BOUFFLER
31, Thomas STEPHEN
33, Joseph H WOODMANSEE
35, William GIDDINGS
37, Albert EVERITT
39, Robert Henry HALL
41, Thomas STRUGNELL
43, William MUSTOE
45, Harry Walter BRENNAN
47 James MANSELL, assistant insurance supt
49, Ernest MINNS
51, James REED
53, Arthur FOLEY
55, Albert Henry HENSHAW
57, Charles Edward PEARCE
59, Robert NEWMAN

EAST SIDE SIDE

2, Harold THOMAS, confectioner
4, Augustus STANSFORD
6, Bernard M WILLIAMSON
8, Edward Thompson THOMPSON
10, Frederick BRUNTON
12, George Albert SIVIOUR
14, Harold THOMAS
16, John Thomas COOPER
18, Thomas LEGG
20, William STOKES
22, Thomas Henry DYER
24, Albert William SLEIGH
26, Walter NIGHTINGALE
28, Edward Samuel DANSON
30, Isaac Edward ASHLEY
32, James HUDSON
34, William John SLATER
36, William George TANNER
38, Francis Edward KING
40, George William HILLING
42, David HORAN
44, Charles PURNELL
46, Harry COLLINS
48, William George CARTER
50, John Edward BARNARD
52, Joseph TAYLOR
54, Ernest ROGERS
56, Thomas GODDINGS
58, C PAYNE
60, Arthur John THOMPSON
60A, Henry FURRIER


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Garden Avenue

Road off eastern side of Streatham Road. South of Melrose Avenue and north of Elmhurst Avenue.

The road was marked out on this 1913 map, but no houses have been built yet. The 1915 street directory lists houses on side as numbered even from 2 to 80, and on the other side, odd numbers from 1 to 65.

undated postcard of Garden Avenue

1913 OS map

1913 OS map

1934 OS map

1934 OS map

World War 1 Connections
Private R E Chappell

Private G C Cobbold

Private Christopher Douglas Elphick

Rifleman Maurice Henry Gower

Lance Corporal Victor Lunn

Private George Joseph Senyard

Air Mechanic 1st Class Leslie Charles De Courcy Thompson

Private Eric Williams

From the Military Service Tribunals:

Mitcham & Tooting Mercury, 22nd February, 1918
Mitcham Tribunal

Mr H.A. Mawe, age 36, C3, married, order clerk, of Garden-avenue, Mitcham, said he was in a delicate state of health. If taken from civil life he would be compelled to go into hospital. He had already been discharged from the Army.

Six months’ exemption.

S.L. Gaston, U.D.C. chairman and Mitcham Borough Mayor in 1938, lived at number 2.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Meopham Road

Road that runs westward from Rowan Road to Grove Road. It was originally called Old Grove Road, and is shown on this 1913 map as part of Grove Road.

1913 OS Map

1913 OS Map

It was renamed to Meopham Road in 1927, likely named from a field on the north side, see map on page 16 of Mitcham Histories : 3 Pollards Hill, Commonside East and Lonesome.

From the minutes of the Mitcham Urban District Council
Highways and Buildings Committee
Tuesday, 6th December, 1927
Page 528

10. Naming of Roads – It was Resolved, that an order be made under Section 18 of the Public Health Act, 1925, assigning the following names to streets in the district:-

Meopham Road, for that part of Grove Road leading past the south end of Ebenezer Cottages to the junction with Rowan Road (hitherto described as Old Grove Road).


See also:

A. Jordan & W. King, electrical engineers, adjoining 94 Meopham Road

British Red Cross )Youth Section) Divisional HQ

Public conveniences planned in 1936


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Urban District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

The Parade

Parade of shops on east side of London Road, south of the Upper or Fair Green, consisting of 12 shops to Langdale Avenue, then a further 6 shops south of there. Historic England defines a ‘parade’ as

‘planned developments incorporating rows of shops (facing onto an outdoor space), with a strong degree of architectural uniformity…. (which) includes at least three shops’.

aerial view of The Parade

aerial view of The Parade

Built around 1905 according to Montague, in his Mitcham Histories : 12 Church Street and Whitford Lane, page 107.

Could the builder have been J. Harding? This planning application was approved at the same time as another for 12 houses in Langdale Avenue:
From the minutes of the Croydon Rural District Council
Volume IX 1903 – 1904
7th May 1903
page 72

No. 2505, Harding, J., 12 houses and shops, London Road, Mitcham

From a Tuck postcard dated 1950

From a Tuck postcard dated 1950

1913 map (1:2500 scale):

1913 OS Map courtesy of Merton Heritage Service

1913 OS Map courtesy of Merton Heritage Service.

This 1953 map shows it with the shops renumbered. (The map has been rotated.)


Occupants from 1911 Commercial Directory

Number Occupier Trade
1 Milton Ireland grocer
2 Wm. Geo. Evans customs & excise officer
2 Mrs. Annie Brooking Martin ladies’ tailor
3 Mitcham Liberal Association
3 The World’s Stores Limited provision dealers
4 Alfred Thomas Jenkins confectioner
5 Leonard Thomas Davey auctioneer
6 B. H. Craig & Co photographers
6 Gordon Williams artificial teeth maker
7 National Telephone Co. Limited
7 James White oil and color dealer
8 John Dooley stationer
9 Charles Breese chemist
10 Jean Baptiste Rompel watch maker
11 Clement Carlton greengrocer
11 Cyril Marriott printer
12 Frederick George Pearce baker
13 Wraight, Dumbriil & Co. Ltd dairymen
15 Jas. Nelson & Sons Ltd. butchers

Shops in 1989



Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Lighting Tramway Path

From the minutes of the Mitcham Parish Council
Volume 11
April 1913 to March 1914
Report of the Lighting Committee
28th October, 1913
page 106

Report of Sub-Committee appointed to inspect Gorringe Park Avenue and Tramway Path, with a view of ascertaining whether or not additional lamps are required thereat.

Present – Messrs. A. Dendy and J. Snelling.

Gorringe Park Avenue –

Your Sub Committee are of the opinion after careful inspection and consideration, that the question of increased lighting in Gorringe Park Avenue should be deferred until the Church now in course of erection is completed and the road made up.

Tramway Path –

This path, from Mitcham Park to the Double Bridges, is about 650 yards in length, the nearest Gas Main is at the Mitcham Park end of the footpath, and to light this footpath effectually, at least six lamps would be necessary; and it is doubtful if the Gas Company could be induced to lay the necessary main even if this number of lamps were erected. There is only one house on the route to take the gas if the Council were to light the path. There are many others throughout the Parish of a similar description which would have to be lighted, and your Sub-Committee there do not recommend that any lamps be erected.

The Committee having considered the Report beg to recommend –

That one additional lamp be erected in Gorringe Park Avenue, and that Messrs. J. M. Leather and J. Brewer be appointed to select the most desirable position for its erection.


From the minutes of the Mitcham Parish Council
Volume 11
April 1913 to March 1914

Report of the Lighting Committee
meeting held on November 24th, 1914.
pages 110-111

The following letter was read from the Gas Company quoting terms for laying the necessary main and service pipes for lighting three lamps in Tramway Park.

                                   Wandsworth Wimbledon and Epsom 
                                              District Gas Company.
                                                    Fairfield Street, 
                                                         Wandsworth,
                                   Tuesday, 17th November, 1914.


Dear Sir, 

                      Tramway Path, Mitcham.

With further reference to your letter of the 30th October, addressed to Mr C. W. Braine, this matter has had the consideration of my board, and I have to say this company will be pleased to lay the necessary level of Gas Main (200 yards 4 inches) and the Service Pipe (1,000 yards, 1 and a half inches diameter) to give an adequate supply of gas for three public lamps in Tramway Path, vision, and the annual charge per lamp, per annum, for No.s 2, 3 or 4 “Kern” lamps would be, respectively, as follows: –

No. 2 “Kern” … £14 11s. 0d
No. 3 “Kern” … £14 6s. 9d
No. 4 “Kern” … £15 9s. 0d

These prices would be for Gas and Maintenance, and they are based on the assumption that your Council would accept the terms for a minimum period of five years, after which time we would be pleased to further consider the matter.

I shall be glad to hear from you with reference to this matter.

I may add that we have ascertained that at present there is very little prospect of further houses being erected in the vicinity of the house already built and the occupier of which would be willing to use Gas.

                             Yours faithfully,
                                         (Signed) H.O. CARR,
                                                  Engineer.

The Committee make no recommendations, as they consider the terms prohibitive.

1910 OS Map showing Tramway Path


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Parish Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.