Tag Archives: 1911

Byegrove Road

Road off of Colliers Wood High Street that was part of the Mitcham Urban District. Possibly named after the nearby Byegrove House, as shown in this 1865 OS map.

1865 OS map

This 1895 OS map shows houses only on the south side of the road.

1895 OS map

The OS map of 1911 shows houses have since been built on its north side.

1911 OS map

Note also that on the left is Bailey Road, which no longer exists.

From the 1911 street directory, as described from the High Street:

SOUTH SIDE
3A, William MASON shopkeeper
………Here is Bailey road………
1 George WATKINS, beer retailer
…… here is public footpath to Wandsworth ……

Croydon Rural District Council Sewage Works
(Henry James SNOOK, farm manager; John Alfred SUTTON, engineer)

NORTH SIDE
…… here is Denison road

Occupants in the 1925 street directory

East Side
2,George RIDOUT
2a,Sidney SMITH
4,Harry JOHNS
4a,Mrs RICHARDS
6,Walter Edward TRIGGS
6a,Frank GOVER
8,Frederick SUTTON
8a,Mrs ARNOLD
10,Mrs CLARKE
10a,Edwin JONES
12,William HOLLEY
12a,Ernest BLOW
14,Charles WOODS
14a,Arthur VARRALL
16,Frederick CROSBY
16a,William Charles STEWART
18,Thomas RUSSELL
18a,Harry MITCHELL
20,Frederick Joseph DENNIS
20a,William Isaac FAIR
22,William GILBERT
22a,George RANDALL
24,Thomas PRICE
24a,Henry Samuel HALL
26,Seymour SCOTT
26a,Sidney COPPERWAITE
28,Henry TIBBLES
28a,George JONES
30,Gordon James SCRUBY
30a,William BRYANT
32,Herbert Charles LEVISH
32a,Mrs FLEMING
34,Mrs KNIGHTBRIDGE
34a,Henry GUY
36,H. Sermon KNIGHTBRIDGE
36a,Alfred John SIMONS
38,Frederick William KING
38a,John SPICE
40,Aesbsell PROCKTER
40a,George Arthur WEBB
42,George PETERS
42a,Richard LUCRAFT
44,Mrs STEIDLEN
44a,Thomas LEWMAN
46,Arthur George CLARKE
46a,Ernest STAPLES
48,Mrs DREW
48a,Mrs BLOMFIELD
50,Mrs MARK
50a,Mrs WALKINGTON
52,Ernest FERRIDGE
52a,William GEORGE
54,Alfred Edward RISK
54a,Percy Harold SMITH
56,Edwin Charles WALLER
…. here is Denison rd

West Side
3a, N. SIMS,shopkeeper
…. here is Bailey Road
1,A.E. HELLEWELL ,beer retailer
5,Ernest Edward ROFFEY
7,Arthur PENTLOW
9,Edward James SPICE
11,Archibald HOLLEDGE
13,Charles HAWKINS
15,George BARRETT
17,Henry GARDNER
19,Mrs MEAD
21,Walter ROFFEY
…. here is public footpath to Wandsworth
Wandle ValleySewage Works
(Jolm Alfred Sutton, engnr)

The 1950 OS map shows the house numbering. Note 3A on the corner with Bailey Road, and that the north side are all even.

1950 OS map


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Advertisements

Bailey Road

Bailey Road no longer exists. It was off the south side of Byegrove Road.

It is shown on this 1950 OS map, with houses numbered odd on the south side, and even on the north. Just south off this map is the cork factory of Walter Mays Ltd.

1950 OS map

Occupants in the 1925 street directory

North Side

2,Mrs HEATHER
4,Herbert SILENCE
6,William Edwin LANG
8,George Herbert PORTER
10,John POTTER
12,Henry LUFFMAN
14,James Frederick SKELTON
16,John STANFORD
18,Frederick Samuel BATHO

South Side

1,Henry George THORPE
3,Ernest WHITE
5,William Frederick BAKER
7,Mrs. A WARWICK
9,John HARRIGAN
11,Walter MUNT
13,Charles BOYES
15,James George HUGGETT

Bailey Road is shown on this 1895 OS map:

1895 OS map

However in the 1891 electoral register, a terrace called Bayley Cottages is shown as in Byegrove Road.

Other entries in the 1891 electoral register Listed as Bayley Cottages, Byegrove Road:

Not numbered:
Edward BOWDERY

Numbered:
2, Charles BAKER
3, John LUFFMAN
7, William PHIPPS

Note the Henry LUFFMAN in the 1925 street directory.

The Merton Historical Society have a photo from Eric Montague’s slide collection of the terrace of houses north of Bailey Road. The photo was taken in 1973 looking south. It shows the blocks of flats where Bailey Road was. It can be found on the Colliers Wood collection of photos, related to his book on Colliers Wood in the Mitcham Histories series.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Mitcham Rifle Club before 1914

BRIGHTON RAILWAY v. MITCHAM. Won by Brighton. Scores : Brighton Railway.—P. Jackson, 99; F. Nightingale, 98; P. Bates, 97; C. Streeter, 96; E. Fox, 96; G. Burt, 94 ; G. Clayton, 94; J. Fox, 93—total, 767. Mitcham Railway.— A. Dalziel, 96; J. Baker, 95 ; J. Rompel, 92; A. Baker, 91; S. Chart, 88; J. White, 88; W. Tullett, 87; H. White, 87—total, 724.

Source: Croydon Chronicle and East Surrey Advertiser – Saturday 24 February 1912 from the British Newspaper Archive

MITCHAM R.C. v. “OLD BOYS” HIGH SCHOOL.

At Mitcham. Scores :
Mitcham. — L. W. Munday, 97; H. W. White, 96; J. B. Rompel, 96; J. A. Baker, 95 ; J. D. Clarke, 95; A. Dalziel, 95; J. White, 93; R. Robinson, 93. Total, 760.

“Old Boys.” – C. W. Hall, 100; D. Mc- Kerchar, 99; L. E. Hall, 97 ; L. Jones, 95; R. K. Batstone, 95; R. E. English, 94; G. L. Bailey, 91; A. Brown, 83. Total, 754.

Source: Croydon Chronicle and East Surrey Advertiser – Saturday 06 April 1912 from the British Newspaper Archive

“W” DIVISION POLICE v. MITCHAM

— Won by “W” Division Police. Scores : Police.—P.c Baker. 85; P.s. Blacklaws, 92; P.c. Wilson, 93; P.c. Talbot, 99; P.c. Cleaver, 94; P.c. Wilkie. 100; P.c. Alder, 93; P.c. Jackson, 92. Total, 750.

Mitcham — Mr. Guyatt, 84; Mr. J. White, 81; Mr. J. B. Rompel, 86; Mr. J. A. Baker, 90; Mr. A. Jenner. 92; Mr. Philpot, 92; Mr. J. White, 84; Mr. S. Chart, 82. Total, 691.

ADDISCOMBE R.C. v. MITCHAM R.C.

— Won by Addiscombe.

Scores:-
Addiscombe. — G. Foster, 95; A. F. Knight, 93; W. E. Harvey, 96; A. Dixon, 99; H. C. Pressland, 97; A. Cotterell, 94; T. Hooker, 95; F. C. Burgess, Si. Total. 763.

Mitcham. — Philpot , 93; Munday, 97; A. Jenner. 90; J. B. Rompel. 89: J. A. Baker, S. Chart, 85; G. Wyatt, 85; J. White, 94. Total, 704.

Source: Croydon Chronicle and East Surrey Advertiser – Saturday 28 October 1911 from the British Newspaper Archive

Spring Gardens, Church Road

A terrace of eight houses that were on the western side of Church Road, at the north corner with Aberdeen Road.

1894 OS map

Occupants in the 1896 street directory

1,John SEARS
2,Mrs SMITH
3,Mrs RUSSELL
4,James WHITE
5,Charles WESTERN
6,Joseph SIMMONS
7,Charles EDWARDS
8,Thomas MURRAY

Occupants in the 1904 street directory

1,Edward THOMPSON
2,Mrs SMITH
3,Mrs RUSSELL
4,William HUSSEY
5,Charles WESTERN
6,Alfred KNIGHT
7,Walter WATLING
8,Charles SIVIOUR

The terrace is shown on the 1911 OS map but not listed in the Kelly street directory for that year.

1911 OS map

The terrace of six houses to the north, on the same side of Church Road, is listed as Marrianne Cottages.

The terrace is not shown in the 1952 OS map:

1952 OS map


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Marrianne Cottages

Terrace of houses that was on the western side of Church Road, south of Phipps Terrace and north of Aberdeen Road.

Occupants in the 1911 street directory
Going from north to south.

6,William SEARS
5,E T BROADBRIDGE
4,Frederick BALDWIN
3,William Thomas FRANCIS
2,Henry James BATT
1,Frederick William TAYLOR

Possibly this terrace of six houses, numbered 369 to 359, as shown on this 1952 OS map:

1952 OS map

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Seely Road

Road built on former golf course, south of the river Graveney, hence in the Urban District of Mitcham.

1911 OS map showing western end of Seely Road

1911 OS map of eastern end of the road

From the minutes of the Croydon Rural District council
Volume XII 1906 to 1907
Highways and New Streets and Buildings
20th October 1906
Page 447

Application no. 4095 by Eastman Bros. for 42 houses, Seely Road, Links Estate


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.