Tag Archives: 1902

1902 : Horse riding on the cricket green

RIDING ON MITCHAM COMMON.

At Croydon County Bench, on Saturday. Jas. Plested, of Leighton-street, Mitcham-road was summoned for committing a breach of the Mitcham Common Conservators’ bye-laws, riding on a portion of the cricket club’s ground.—Defendant pleaded guilty; and expressed his sorrow.

— Mr. Thos. Harvey, captain of the Mitcham Cricket Club, said that on the 2nd inst. he saw defendant riding a horse on the club’s ground. When told to stop he did so, but asserted that he had as much right to ride on the ground as witness had walk over it. The ground was damaged.

— Defendant said he only bought the horse the same morning, and he got on its back it got the upper hand of him, reared, and ran to the common.

— Fined 16s. 6d., including costs.

Source: Dorking and Leatherhead Advertiser – Saturday 27 September 1902 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)

Duncan’s Cottages and Stanley Villas

Two terraces of houses, on the east side of Western Road, near to and north of the corner with Bond Road.

Council minutes in 1902 refer to a planning permission for six houses, which could be for Stanley Villas:

No. 2116, Simmons E. & A., 6 cottages, Western Road Road, Mitcham

Source: Croydon Rural District Council Minutes, Volume VIII 1902 – 1903, 22nd May 1902, page 112.

It’s possible that E. & A. Simmons were Ephraim and Arthur, brothers who were nurserymen, see Rose Nursery.


This 1911 OS map shows 6 houses on the left which are likely to be Stanley Villas, and the next group of 4, Duncan Cottages. The house on its own at the corner with Bond Road (opposite Fountain Place) was Grosvenor House.

1911 OS map.

1911 OS map.

The 1911 census shows the occupants:

Stanley Villas
1, Thomas JONES, 44, labourer in gas works
2, Edith Mason, 42, of private means
3, William PARKIN, 62, leather dresser
4, Michael O’SULLIVAN, 53, carman and contractor
5, William PAYNE, 64, gardener
6, John William KIMPTON, 40, wheelwright

Duncan Cottages
1, Albert E. BLAND, 29, gas fitter at Mitcham Gas co.
2, George JANSON, 46, gardener & contractor
3, John DRAPER, 35, foreman in tea warehouse
4, Thomas HERMITAGE, 34, furnace stoker in Holborn Union Workhouse

The 1925 street directory shows an extra two houses have been added to Duncan Cottages. The houses were numbered in the directory, going south, 6 to 1 Stanley Villas and then 1 to 6 Duncan Cottages:

Stanley Villas
6, John Henry KIMPTON
5, Albert NEWELL
4, Michael SULLIVAN
3, Mrs LOCKYER
2, George ALWYN
1, Thomas JONES

Duncan Cottages
1, John TILLEY, cycle maker
2, John LAWRENCE
3, John DRAPER
4, James DAVIS
5, William John DAVIS
6, Sidney Harry COLEMAN

The 1952 OS map shows that the houses have been renumbered as part of Western Road.

1952 OS map

1952 OS map


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.


Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

1902 photos of lavender harvest

The lavender harvest. From photographs taken at Mitcham, Surrey, during the latter part of August.

Source: The Sketch – Wednesday 10 September 1902 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)

Cutters at work. This lavender is growing on four-year-old roots.

Cutters at work. This lavender is growing on four-year-old roots.

In the track of the reapers

In the track of the reapers

Collecting and placing the lavender in mats

Collecting and placing the lavender in mats

Pegging up the mats full of lavender

Pegging up the mats full of lavender

Carrying the mats of lavender to the waggon

Carrying the mats of lavender to the waggon

Loading the waggon with lavender for the distillery, where the essential oil is extracted

Loading the waggon with lavender for the distillery, where the essential oil is extracted

Bruce Road

Road on former Gorringe Park estate, west of Heaton Road.

1913 OS Map

1913 OS Map

The road was made up in 1902. From the minutes of the Croydon Rural District Council, Volume 8, 1902 to 1903, 18th September 1902, page 395:

Grenfell Road Tenders

The Council opened and considered the undermentioned tenders received for the making up, forming, kerbing, and metalling of Grenfell Road, Mitcham:-

Stockwell & Co., Bromley = £698 7s.
Adams, T., Wood Green, London = £574
Iles, E., Mitcham = £472
Free & Sons, Maidenhead = £437
Wheeler, W., Southwark, S.E. = £369

Resolved, That the tender of Messrs. Free & Sons, of Maidenhead, be accepted, and that the necessary bond be entered into in accordance of conduct.


From the 1915 street directory:

from Ashbourne Road to Figg’s marsh

EAST SIDE

2 Jean Marie Berthelot, teacher of french
4 Sydney Taylor
6 Albert Edward Snowdon
8 Francis Stagg
10 Charles W Beaven
12 William Henry Isaac
14 Harry Tanner Lucas
16 Albert Edward Everett
18 George Osmond
20 William Philip Evans
22 Frederick Greasby
24 James Henry Brown
26 George Gray
28 James Champion
30 Sidney Clover
32 Francis W Dutton
34 Walter John Maunder
36 William Fulbrook
38 John Blunt
40 Herbert Warner
42 Ernest John Willmott
44 William Henry Parsonage
46 Mrs Bond
48 Mrs P. Zietz, teacher of music
50 Ernest Wall Mills
52 Robert George Fletcher
54 Robert Bracken
56 Owen H. Bailey, insurance agent
58 National Deposit Friendly Society (Mitcham district) (Francis Swann, secretary)
60 Thomas Lawton
62 James Bryan
64 George William Richards
66 Alfred Crowhurst

WEST SIDE

1 George Adams, grocer
27 william George Kempsell, grocer
29 H.D. Sanders, boot maker

… here is Inglemere Road …

25A J. Richardson, builder & decorator

… here is Gorringe park avenue & Figg’s marsh …

World War 1 Connections
Rifleman Ernest James Blagburn
Private Frederick Isaac
Private A E Snowdon

Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Amelia Elizabeth Hewitt, draper

Amelia Elizabeth Hewitt had a draper shop on Upper Green east.

1902 - clip from Merton Memories photo 49655, copyright London Borough of Merton

1902 – clip from Merton Memories photo 49655, copyright London Borough of Merton

1910 OS Map showing AE Hewitt shop in red, left of the Post Office

1910 OS Map showing AE Hewitt shop in red, left of the Post Office

News Articles

REFUSED TO REGISTER.
WOMAN SMARTLY FINED FOR TREATING MATTER AS JOKE.

At Croydon Police Court, to-day, Amelia Elizabeth Hewitt, draper, of Upper Mitcham. was summoned for refusing fill up her National Registration Form, and for refusing to attend before the local registration authorities. The defendant did not appear, and it was stated that she told the enumerator that the lost her form, but she would not register.

When warned of the penalty for failing to register, she made a flippant reply, when the summonses were served she put them in the letter box, and said:— “I should think my face would tell you how old I am.”

She was fined £2 on the first summons and £1 on the second summons, with £1 12s. 6d. costs, or the alternative of 21 days.

Source: Yorkshire Evening Post – Thursday 09 September 1915 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)

WOMAN TURNS OUT POLICE

Order for Arrest of Draper Who Refused to Lower Lights. The Croydon magistrate yesterday ordered the arrest Amelia Hewitt, draper, of Upton Green, Mitcham, for failing to answer a summons for the excessive lighting of her shop. She declined to touch the lights complained of, and ordered the police officers out of her shop.

Source: Sunday Mirror – Sunday 02 April 1916 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required) NB: Upper Green incorrectly written as Upton Green in this article.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Grenfell Road

Road off west side of London Road, south of Tooting Station.

1950 OS Map

1950 OS Map

The road was made up in 1902. From the minutes of the Croydon Rural District Council, Volume 8, 1902 to 1903, 18th September 1902, page 394:

Grenfell Road Tenders

The Council opened and considered the undermentioned tenders received for the making up, forming, kerbing, and metalling of Grenfell Road, Mitcham:-

Stockwell & Co., Bromley = £600 8s.
Adams, T., Wood Green, London = £527
Iles, E., Mitcham = £476
Free & Sons, Maidenhead = £454
Wheeler, W., Southwark, S.E. = £336

Resolved, That the tender of Mr. E. Iles, of Mitcham, be accepted, and that the necessary bond be entered into in accordance of conduct.

A water trough outside the Gorringe Park Hotel was in the way of this however, as can be seen from the minutes of the Croydon Rural District Council, Volume 8, 1902 to 1903, Road and Buildings Committee, 20th November 1902, page 571:

The Surveyor reported that in order to complete the work of making up Grenfell Road it had become necessary to remove an obstructive water trough erected in connection with the Gorringe Park Hotel. The Owners of the Hotel (Messrs. Young & Co.) stated that the water trough was the property of the tenant, who, however, had refused to remove it.

—The Committee instructed the Surveyor to formally call upon the tenant of the Hotel to remove the water trough.


From the 1915 street directory:

from London Road to Bruce Road

SOUTH SIDE

2, Daniel KERWOOD, confectioner
Snelling & Gathercote Ltd. concrete slab manufacturers

… here is Bruce Road …

NORTH SIDE

1, John C. HUGHES
3, Mrs KNAPP, wardrobe dealer
15, Raphael SHIREWITZ, ladies’ and gents’ tailors
25, Joseph WILSON, estate office

… here is Sirdar Road …

27, F. BOWDITCH, confectioner
29, Sydney HANNAM, fried fish shop
31, Hill House Laundry
33, David MORRIS, dairy
35, William TYRELL, butcher
36, Walter SWEET, oil and color man
39, Peter HEARN, greengrocer

World War 1 Connections
Private Henry Frederick Boston
Private Percy George ROE
Private John THURLOW
Serjeant Hubert William WATTS

Ad for Wainberg’s of number 3, Grenfell Road : Shoe maker and repairer.

June 1949 ad

June 1949 ad


From the minutes of the Croydon Rural District Council
Volume IX 1903 – 1904
23rd April 1903
page 68

No. 2483, Wilson, J., 8 shops and tenement houses, Grenfell Road, Mitcham


Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Graham Road

Road off east side of Streatham Road, north of Lock’s Lane and south of Graham Avenue.

Built in the late 19th century on land previously occupied by The Willows, described by Eric Montague in his book Mitcham Histories : 2 North Mitcham, page 74, as having extensive stabling, farmery, meadows and gardens. The roads Graham Avenue, Elmfield Avenue and Fernlea Road were also built in this land. The address “Graham Road, Willows Estate” was used in this ad from 1900:

Mitcham (best part). – Pretty and conveniently arranged 6 – roomed houses; bath (h. and c.); good garden; within 10 minutes’ walk of Tooting Junction Station; good service of trains to Ludgate-hill and London-bridge; rent £24 per annum, or price (freehold) £350; £300 could remain on mortgage, repayable by easy instalments, which would amount to the same thing as paying rent.

Apply to Nott, Cartwright, and Etches, 13, The Parade, Tooting; 1, Bank Buildings, Balham; or to 39, Graham-road, Willows Estate, Mitcham.

1894 OS Map

1894 OS Map

1911-os-map-graham-road

1911 OS Map

In 1902, the road was made up, and charges to owners was based on the length of the frontage of their properties. This list is from the minutes of the Croydon Rural District Council:

Volume 8
1902 to 1903
Mitcham Parochial
19th June 1902
page 200

The ‘number on plan’ isn’t a house number. The plan referred to isn’t available.

No. on plan Property Owner Frontage
1 House Sydney Moses 18 ft.
2 Three houses Charles Bell 54 ft.
3 Three houses Nott, Cartwright & Etches 54 ft.
4 Two houses Charles Bell 36 ft.
5 House Arthur Mansfield 18 ft.
6 House Charles Bell 18 ft.
7 House Charles Wheeler 18 ft.
8 House Alfred Edger 22 ft.
9 House Miss Annie Fawcett 18 ft.
10 House John Edwin Branch 18 ft.
11 Three houses Charles Bell 54 ft.
12 House Charles Remington 18 ft.
13 House Edward Duncan 18 ft.
14 Two houses Edward Charles 36 ft.
15 Eight houses Edward Cheeseman 134 ft. 6 ins.
16 Seven houses James Willers 121 ft. 6 ins.
17 House and land T.L. Laver 34 ft.
18 Land J. Mounter 24 ft.
19 Land Trustees of Lansbury 296 ft.
20 House and land F.L. Mizen 150 ft.
21 Land H.A. Chappell 188 ft.

The contract for making up the road went to tender, as listed in the council minutes of 18th September 1902, page 394:

Graham Road Tenders

The Council opened and considered the undermentioned tenders received for the making up, forming, kerbing, and metalling of Graham Road, Mitcham:-

Stockwell & Co., Bromley ……… £812 14s.
Adams, T., Wood Green, London …. £621
Free & Sons, Maidenhead ………. £540
Iles, E., Mitcham ……………. £495
Wheeler, W.H., Southwark, S.E. … £441 13s.

Resolved, That the tender of Mr. E. Iles, of Mitcham, be accepted, and that the necessary bond be entered into in accordance of conduct.


From the minutes of the Croydon Rural District Council
Volume IX 1903 – 1904
7th May 1903
page 71

No. 2481, Bennington, J.A., 3 houses, Graham Road, Mitcham


Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.


The street directories of 1891 and 1915 list the occupants in the order encountered when walking from Figgs Marsh to Fernlea Road. The house names are in brackets.

1915

SOUTH SIDE

from Figg’s marsh

2 William James Dickisson (Trent House)
William Frederick Laing, auctioneer & estate agent (Trezamble)
James Dalton (Rose Bank)
George R. Waters (Sydmouth)
Andrew George Jones (Jessima)
James Knight (1 Graham villas)
Philip Musk (Rothesay)
John Davey (3 Graham villas)
Alfred Charles Firth (Dulmeney)
Samuel Weldon Myles (The Cottage)
Arthur E. Cooper (Lyndhurst)
12 Rev. Sydney Jackson [chaplain to Holborn Union workhouse & schools] (White Heather)
James Glover (Selby lodge)
Rowland Macbeth (Homeleigh)
Charles Stratton (Mayfair)
James Alfred Bennington (Eversley)
Edward E. Kelly glove cleaner (Melrose)
Alfred Thomas Green (Brambletye)
Thomas Harper (Stalheim)
Harry Wilson (Merok)
Henry Keen (Sundial)
Thomas Brandon (Viva villa)

NORTH SIDE

Alex. Cordier (Rosenheath)
Charles Jordan (Linacre)
Mrs Bishop (Bellefontaine)
Alexander Notman (Essen)
George H. Day (Aldwark)
Jesse Ray (Kimberley)
James Arthur Martin (Ivydeane)
Arthur Lewis Peake (Belmont)
Herbert Geogre Littleton (Claremont)
Joseph Geaney (Inisfail)
Frederick V. Whicher (Sherwood)
John Howard Feesey (Elmwood villa)
Walter Hudson Douglas (Roselea)
John Lewis Rooke (Thorstone)
Mrs Scales (St. Arvans)
William Luker (The Glen)
26 Richard James Glyde (Glenmore)
27 William Vickers (Crohamhurst)
28 William Driver (The Nest)
Edward Gurr (Sunnymeade)
Arthur Edward Hayne (St. Cross)
Mitcham Conservative & Unionist Association (Arthur Edward Hayne sec.) (St. Cross)
Henry Ailes Chappell (Oxwycke)

…. here is Fernlea Road ….


1891

NORTH SIDE

Miss Wilson (Montrose)
E. Hitchings (Trezamble)
H.S. Coldicott (The Cottage)
William Baker (Lyndhurst)
W.H. Wood (Oakleigh)
V. Roberts (Selby lodge)
Philip Marshal (Homeleigh)
John Forge (Brambletye)

SOUTH SIDE

50 Joseph Harbord
Dr. W.V. Kemshead (Avondale)
26 Hamilton Lawrence


First World War combatants 2nd Lt. Arthur Gordon Jackson, and his brother Lt Henry Stewart Jackson lived at White Heather, in Graham Road.


Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.