Public house. Late C17 or early C18 origins, refaced 1747. Stuccoed facade. Steeply pitched hipped slate roof to parapet at front, to eaves behind. 2 storeys, 7 bays. Central square headed entrance, architraved, in projecting 3 bay Doric porch; balustraded parapet. Square headed architraved windows, sashed; plate glass. Central 3 bays more closely spaced than others, and slightly set forward. Cornice above first floor; balustraded parapet. Tall slab chimneys. Rear elevation of architectural interest of plum brick with flush framed windows.
From the Tithe Apportionment Map of 1846, the occupier of the land owned by the heirs of Cranmer was Edward Mason Davis. The land measured 1 rood and 3 square perches.
1851 directory : Edward Mason DAVIS
1878 directory : Frederick W. BOTTOMLEY
1896 directory : James CROUCH
1911 newspaper : from Thomas LANE to John Jesse VICK
1961 news article : William LEWIS
1969 Chamber of Commerce Yearbook : Mr W. HUTTON
1972 ad : Malcolm and Margaret KNIGHT
From the minutes of the Mitcham Urban District council
Volume V May 1919 to April 1920
28th October 1919
To be approved-
No. 158 Mitcham & Cheam Brewery Co. … Alterations to White Hart PH
1936 : Mrs A.H. Witherden
Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Urban District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.