Pub that was at 39 Church Road, Mitcham
telephone MIT 2660
Rebuilt in 1934, it stood on the corner of Benedict Road and Church Road, and was demolished in around 2003. The site is now occupied by two blocks of flats.
It was renamed the ‘Hop Pickers’ in 1996. (Source: page 65, Mitcham Histories: 12, by Eric Montague).
Planning application 03/P1197 was registered in June 2003 for ‘Redevelopment of site involving demolition of existing public house and erection of a 3 storey building comprising 12 x 2 bed self contained flats with car parking in the basement.’ So the pub closed before the redevelopment. The flats themselves were all sold for £250,000 each in July 2005. (12 flats multiplied by a 1/4 million pounds each = £3 million pounds).
Merton Memories Photos
From the 1989 photos, it can be seen that this was a Taylor Walker pub.
1879 : William CHAPMAN (news article)
1891 : Charles SILVYA (street directory)
1898 : Walter SEARS (street directory)
1915 : Edward STAINES (street directory)
1918 : Edward STAINES (electoral Register)
1930 : Wm. Chas. KEMP (street directory)
1938 : William Charles KEMP (news article)
1954 : H.E. GRIMES (telephone directory)
Mitcham Herald, 11th March 1938
William Charles KEMP, licensee of the “Star” Beerhouse, Church-road, Mitcham, made application for a full spirit licence.
On applicant’s behalf it was stated the house already had a wine licence. There was a substantial luncheon trade, and the premises had been altered and improved recently. Within the quarter-mile radius there were more than 600 houses and 15 factories. There was a petition in favour of the application containing 261 signatures. It was estimated that the monopoly value would be £2,150.
There was trade opposition.
It was stated on behalf of the opposition that there were two fully licensed premises nearby and two off-licences, and it was contended there was no necessity for another fully licensed premises within that quarter-mile radius.
The application was granted.
Planning application number 3008 was recorded in the Mitcham Urban District Council minutes, volume 20, 1934, page 45, for the rebuilding of the pub, by The Cannon Brewery Co. Ltd.
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.