Pub that stood on the north side of Croydon Road near the junction with Carshalton Road. It was next to the Blue Houses, and so was also known as the Blue House pub. These blue houses were possibly built to house workers who built the Surrey Iron Railway at the beginning of the 19th century. One mile further along this Croydon Road, towards Croydon, stood the Jolly Gardeners which was known as the Red House. The bridge over the railway line is called Blue Houses Bridge.
The original wooden building was replaced by a mock Tudor one in 1906.
Summary of ownership
1939 : sold by Nalders & Collyer Brewery Ltd of Croydon to Ind Coope.
2010 : sold by Mitchells and Butler Retail Ltd to Zannah Ltd.
2011 : 20-year lease sold to Butcher and Barrel Ltd, which had 2 other pubs, but went bust in 2013.
2013 : sold the freehold to A.N.A. Land Ltd for £860,000.
2015 : the lease was sold to VP Lounges Ltd for £90,000.
It is assumed that the ‘VP’ refers to the company’s directors Vidur and Parin Patel. Currently, in 2017, the pub is an Asian restaurant and night club, called The Ravensbury.
Merton Memories Photos
From 1851 and 1855 directory : Edward Harry CLOWSER
1903 : Harriet VERNEY
(from Licensed Victuallers)
1905 to 1951 : Fred BENTLEY
(from Electoral Register to 1939, and obituary in 1951 newspaper, see below)
1952 to 1958 : John and Stella DAWSON (from The Tatler)
Newspaper Article Index
|Death of Mr Fred Bentley||Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser||25/10/1951||5|
|Historical Note||Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser||01/11/1951||4|
|Looking in at your local||Mitcham News and Mercury||01/11/1974||8|
|The ??? landed||letter||Mitcham News and Mercury||14/09/1979||18|
|Landlord is finalist in ‘top innkeeper’ competition||Mitcham and Morden Guardian||05/09/1991||5|
|Euro trip for winning at wining||wins prize in Grants of St James’s Wine Awards||Mitcham and Morden Guardian||26/11/1992||3|
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.