260 London Road, Mitcham CR4 3HD
The original pub was timber built and was
first leased in 1837 .. bought by Young & Co. in 1885 … rebuilt in brick around 1899/1900
Source: page 75 of Helen Osborne’s book “Inn and Around – London A History of Young’s Pubs”.
The Land Registry freehold title is SY40253, which was registered in 1940. The current owner (as of 2017) is the Ram Pub Company, of Riverside House, 26 Osiers Road, Wandsworth SW18 1NH. Previously this was Young & Co. Brewery plc, but after they sold the brewery site in Wandsworth, and then their shares in the Wells & Youngs brewery, the company no longer brewed beer, and is now a pubco.
The building was locally listed in February 1992 by the London Borough of Merton.
1851 : Mrs Elizabeth WORTLEY
1867 : John HALL
1885 to 1895 : Charles GOULD
1903 : Albert Hadsworth TUPPER
1911 to 1915 : Henry and Emma Francis MOORE
1922 : H. MOORE
1925 : Charles A. HUDSON
1930 : William A. JONES
1969 : A. LANHAM
???? to 1990 : Ellen and Fred WESTCOTE
When the Mitcham Fair was held at the Fair Green, this pub can bee seen in the background of the opening ceremony. British Pathe have posted newsreel videos to youtube such as this one from 1922, which shows ‘H. MOORE’ as the licensee:
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
1. 1851 street directory for Mrs Wortley
2. 1867 Trade directory for John Hall
3. GOULD identified from a photo in Helen Osborne’s book, who stated 1885 to 1895.
4. Chas Gould from 1891 street directory.
5. 1903 Licensed Victuallers report for AH Tupper
6. 1911 Commercial directory for Henry and Emma Francis Moore
7. 1915 street directory for H & EF Moore
8. 1925 street directory for Charles A. Hudson
9. 1930 Commercial directory for Wm. A. Jones
10. A. Lanham from 1969 Chamber of Commerce Yearbook
11. Ellen and Fred Westcote to 1990 from article in Mitcham Herald of 7/11/1990