Pub that was on the north corner of Tamworth Lane and Manor Road. Demolished in 1998/9 and replaced by a medical centre.
It was built on the site of a previous pub called The Phoenix, whch had its own brewhouse. Listed in the Tithe Apportionment Map of 1846 as being owned by John Thomas Powell, and occupied by Benjamin Marchant. The land measured 20 square perches. In 1855 the pub was renamed the Horse and Groom.
Merton Memories Photos
Landlords from street directories
1851 : Benjamin MARCHANT
1855 : Benjamin MARCHANT
1874 : Benjamin MARCHANT
1896 : Charles A. MARCHANT
1898 : C.A. MARCHANT
1902 : Ellen MARCHANT
1915 : James CONSTABLE
1918 : Thomas JACKSON
1925 : Mrs. Ellen TROWELL
1930 : Frederick H. MORRISON
1938 : Frederick H. MORRISON
From Mitcham UDC minutes Volume XIV 1928-29, applicant Nalder & Collyer, Ltd.
no. 1241 off-licence premises and additional WC
no. 1407 for additions to lavatories
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Urban District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.