Built on the site of a pair of Dixon’s Cottages in London Road and was originally called The Jolly Gardeners.
Landlords from street directories
1891 : William Clarke
1898 : S. P. Dale
1902 : Stanley Peter Dale
When the pub contributed to the Explosion Relief Fund in 1933, the landlord was H. H. Dale
Earliest mention found so far in the British Newspaper Archives is the Annual Licensing Meeting of 4th March 1876.