Now called the White Lion of Mortimer, and owned by JD Wetherspoon.
From plans noted at Croydon Local Studies Centre, Croydon Library:
Perry & Reid of 9 John Street, Adelphi for erection of new public house “Buck’s Head”, Mitcham
Charringtons bought it from Hoare’s Brewery in 1933.
From the Tithe Apportionment Map of 1846, the occupier of the land owned by William Benson was Thomas Jennings. The land measured 1 rood and 32 square perches.
Occupants from street directories
1839 : William Smith
1851 : Francis Newman
1855 : Francis Newman
1866 : Francis Newman
1874 : Mary Bennett
1891 : J.W. Clarke
1898 : W. Chivers
1911 : John Gordon Vening
1915 : Owen Stevenson
1918 : Owen Stevenson
1925 : W.H. Poole
1930 : William Henry Poole
1940 : Major W. H. Poole
1940 : W. Langham
The license transfer of 1940 was referred to in a newspaper article about the ‘tallest landlord‘.
Earliest newspaper reference found so far is an auction in 1822.