Britannia

The Britannia pub was at what is now called number 40 Cricket Green, formerly Lower Green East. It is currently a private house.

Photo taken May 2016

Photo taken May 2016

Eric Montague said in his Mitcham Histories: 1 The Cricket Green, pages 111-113, that this house dates back to 1785, and was converted to an inn in the 1830s.

Merton Memories has a photo titled ‘The Britannia, Causeway’, and here are two clips from it, showing the pub sign and the part of the name ‘YOUNG’ showing that it was a Youngs pub.

Undated - Clip from Merton Memories photo 29230 Copyright London Borough of Merton

Undated – Clip from Merton Memories photo 29230 Copyright London Borough of Merton

Undated - Clip from Merton Memories photo 29230 Copyright London Borough of Merton

Undated – Clip from Merton Memories photo 29230 Copyright London Borough of Merton

Occupants, according to various sources

Summary of Licensees

Year Licensee
1903 Lydia Burkitt
1901 Edwin Burkitt
1898 C. Wright
1893 John Smith
1892 Henry Bird and William Garside
1881 Mary and George Tracey
1874 George Tracey
1866 J.J. Jones
1855 James Lardner
1851 Edward Newman
1839 William Turpin

Licensed Victuallers Records

Sources : Search for Britannia on Licensed Victuallers 1785-1903 on Ancestry

In 1903 shown as fully licensed, and licensed before 1869. Name and address of owners: Young & Co., Wandsworth, to which the pub was tied for draught beer. Name of licensee was Lydia Burkett who resided on the premises.

Accomodation provided for the public

Refreshments other than Intoxicants Sleeping Stabling Sanitary
Teas luncheons and bread and cheese if required Nil 2 horses Urinal

Remarks: Ordinary class trade. Application to transfer to George Hart pending.

In 1892 shown as fully licensed. Name and address of owners: Berner & Kemp, Eltham and Young & Co., brewers, Wandsworth. Name of licensee was Henry Bird who resided on the premises.

Note that the scan on Ancestry shows part of another name, Garside, and a licence transfer reported in 1893 shows this as William Garside.

Census Records

1901 Census

Name Relation to Head Age Year of Birth Gender Occupation
Edwin Burkett Head 48 1853 Male Licensed Victualler
Lydia Burkett Wife 50 1851 Female
Henry W Bannan Son 30 1871 Male
Annie Stevens Servant 19 1882 Female

1881 Census

Name Relation to Head Marital status Age Year of Birth Gender Occupation
George Tracey Head Married 51 1830 Male Licensed Victualler
Mary Tracey Wife Married 52 1829 Female Licensed Victualler
George J. Tracey Son 22 1859 Male Clerk
Annie K. Tracey Daughter 21 1860 Female Shop Assistant
Emily Tracey Daughter 19 1862 Female Shop Assistant
Ellen Tracey Daughter 15 1866 Female Scholar

1851 Census

Name Relation to Head Age Year of Birth Gender Occupation
Edward Newman Head 57 1794 Male Inn Keeper
Ann Pearce Servant 24 1827 Female Housekeeper

Directories

1898 Ward’s Directory
C. Wright

1874 and 1878 Post Office Directory
Geo. Tracey

1855 Kelly’s Directory
James Lardner

1851 Directory
Edward Nathan Newman

1839 Pigot’s Directory – Taverns & Public Houses
Wm. Turpin

Licence Transfers reported in newspapers

Sussex Agricultural Express – Tuesday 07 March 1893 from the British Newspaper Archives (subscription required).

there had not been a single summons against any licensed victualler during the year, nor had the police a single complaint to make against them.—There were no applications for new licenses, but the following transfers were effected :–The King’s Arms, Carshalton, from Mr. G. J. B. Jackson to Mr. Henry Salmon, late of the Melbourne, Wellington; The Britannia, the Causeway, from Henry Bird and Walter Garside, to John Smith, late of the White Hart, Hook, Surbiton; The Ship, Figg’s-marsh, Mitcham, from Thomas Owen to Frederick R. Knight ; The Rose and Crown, Wellington, to Charles Moore, as administrator of Mary Moore, his mother, deceased.

Other newspaper articles

Croydon Advertiser and East Surrey Reporter – Saturday 17 August 1889

Annual Dinner

– On Saturday last the band of the 2nd V.B. Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) came down to Mitcham for their annual outing, and made their headquarters with Mr. G. J. Bullock at the Britannia, where an excellent dinner was provided for about 40 guests, who amused themselves until dinner time with cricket, quoits, and other games.

The company sat down about six o’clock with good appetites, and having done ample, justice to the first-class catering of their host, and the cloth having been removed, Mr. E. H. Howell, bandmaster, was voted to the chair, the vice-chair being ably filled by Sergeant Emmerton.

Mr. Bullock was then invited into the room, and a vote of thanks proposed the chairman for the splendid way in which he had provided for their entertainment. This was the first occasion on which they had selected Mitcham for their outing, and he (the chairman) had no doubt the company would conclude that it should not be the last. Mr. Bullock having replied in few neat and appropriate remarks, Sergeant Emmerton seconded the vote. This having been carried unanimously his health was drunk in champagne with musical honours.

Harmony was then commenced by the vice-chairman and kept with great spirit until time for the return journey, when the members of the band departed by train, greatly pleased by the reception they had met with. The Mitcham brass band played at intervals during the evening and added to the enjoyment of the occasion.

Death notice in April 1889 for wife of G.J. Bullock.

Croydon Advertiser and East Surrey Reporter – Saturday 27 April 1889

Bullock.— April 25th. the Britannia Inn. Lower Mitcham, after a lingering illness. Harnett, the beloved wife of G. J. Bullock, aged 35.

Job as Under-Barman sought in this 1857 ad

Morning Advertiser – Saturday 02 May 1857

WANTS a SITUATION as UNDER-BARMAN, a young Man of good character, who can have security if required, unacquainted with the business – salary not so much an object as a good knowledge of the business. Address to W.P., Britannia Inn, Lower Mitcham, Surrey.

This ad of 1842 for a Grocers and Cheesemongers says it is near the Britannia.

Morning Advertiser – Thursday 15 September 1842

To be LET, with immediate possession, a neatly-fitted up GROCER’S and CHEESEMONGER’S SHOP doing a good ready money business, situate near the Britannia Inn and Mitcham — the house contains shop, parlour, kitchen, and store-room, and two rooms up stairs, a large garden and good shed on the premises, rent £15 per annum, clear of all taxes, and rent taken out by the landlord—coming-in very low-stock need not taken. For further particulars inquire of H. Pratt, on the premises.

This ad from 1836 requests correspondence to be sent to the Britannia, Mitcham.
Morning Advertiser – Saturday 11 June 1836

BAKERS.—To be Disposed of the LEASE, & GOODWILL, &c. of old-established BAKER’S SHOP, the proprietor wishing to retire—it is now doing five sacks per week at full price—the rent very low (under £10., part of the premises being let off) —this is most favourable opportunity for a young industrious person to embark in, as the business, by the attention of the principal, might be greatly improved—coming-in about £200. Letters addressed to S. E., post paid, to be left at the Britannia, Mitcham, will meet with immediate attention.

Advertisements