Parish Rooms

Grade II Listed Building
From Historic England:

Former Sunday and National Schools. Originally built 1788; clock tower added 1892; rebuilt mid C19 but reusing C18 clock turret. Yellow brick. Slate low hipped roof to eaves. Symmetrical composition. Centre of 2 storeys, 1 main bay, flanked by 3-bay 1-storey wings. Central corniced entrance, panelled double doors; flanked by arched windows. Upper windows square headed. Central corniced inscribed plaque: Sunday School, Established 1788 National Schools, Established 1812 Rev G D Myers MA Vicar Henry Hoare Esq, Treasurer’. Further corniced tablet to gable inscribed ‘Mitcham Sunday and National Schools’. Small central stuccoed clock tower with rusticated quoins. Pilastered clock stage and open bellcote with Doric columns and lead covered ogee cupola topped by feathered terminal. Plaster strips between bays to wings; segmental headed windows. Small louvres to roof.

Photo taken May 2016

Photo taken May 2016

National School House Built by the local Firm of Oxtoby in 1788, this listed Georgian building was in use as the first day school in Mitcham village from 1812 until 1897 and later became the Parish Rooms. Above the clock, presented in 1792 by Mrs Woodcock, stands an octagonal pillared bellcote.

National School House
Built by the local Firm of Oxtoby in 1788, this listed Georgian building was in use as the first day school in Mitcham village from 1812 until 1897 and later became the Parish Rooms. Above the clock, presented in 1792 by Mrs Woodcock, stands an octagonal pillared bellcote.

20160523 National School Clock

Merton Memories Drawings and Photos

1823
1960
1973

Advertisements