Road off east side of junction of Christchurch Road and Church Road, opposite Liberty Avenue. It was within the Mitcham Urban District although as letters were delivered from Merton, it acquired a SW19 post code.
In the 1891 street directory it was listed as Prince of Wales Road, probably in connection with the nearby Prince of Wales pub.
Prince of Wales road (Merton)
from Merton Lane
William Croft, pig dealer
Walter Shepherd, pig dealer
Henry Davison, pig dealer
Benjamin Bolton, pig dealer
Stephen Holloway, pig dealer
Charles Leaver, pig dealer
George Thatcher, pig dealer
Joseph Randall, pig dealer
In this 1895 map, it is shown as Prince’s Road.
The 1915 directory shows 2 pig dealers:
Prince’s Road (Merton)
from Western Road
Singlegate Council Schools
(girls & infants)
3 Robert Davison, pig dealer
11 William Whittick, pig dealer
The road led to land that used by London colleges as playing fields, as shown in the 1930 Commercial Directory:
Battersea & Chelsea Polytechnics, athletic ground, Princes rd. T N 0852
The Esco Sports & Social Club (A. P. Lawson, sec. ),Princes rd
James Ferguson & Sons Ltd. ebonite dust mfrs. Princes rd. T A “ Nestorius, Toot; ” T N 2283
Which has led to the names of the business parks College Fields, at the eastern end of Prince Georges Road and Chelsea Fields, off Western Road.
The name of this road was changed after a request by the London County Council. They said that there were 10 Prince’s Roads in the LCC area with 4 of these were in the SW19 district. The Borough of Mitcham decided in 1934 to change Princes Road to Prince Georges Road.