Described in the 1891 street directory as in Tooting Graveney and being from Robinson Road to Mitcham Road.
The London Road south of Tooting railway station was called Mitcham Road possibly as far south as Tamworth Farm. Although not shown as Robinson Lane on this 1894 OS map, the road to the east of the railway line that leads to Swain’s Lane may be it.
There are 10 houses, arranged as two terraces of five houses each, on the south side with one house on the north side, as described in the 1891 street directory:
Henry Taylor, cowkeeper
10, Daniel Quinton
9, Mrs Brockwell
8, John Richard Smith
7, Thomas Henry Parsons
6, Mrs Bentley
5, Alfred Nunn, grocer
4, Richard Pocock
2, Thomas Burge
H. Nicholls, market gardener
The 1896 Kelly’s London Suburban Directory lists Harry Nicholls as a market gardener in Robinson Lane.
Occupants in 1901 Kelly’s London Suburban Directory (Vol. II: Southern. Part 1: Street & Commercial Directories), listed as Robinson Lane, Mitcham Road:
Harry Nickolls, market gardener
5, Alfred Nunn, shopkeeper
The 1915 street directory no longer has a Robinson Lane, and the occupants of Swain’s Lane, from London Road, were:
Frederick Nicholls, market gardener (Swain’s Farm)
Reginald Rainger, poultry farmer (Rose Cottage)
5 George Green, laundry
It is possible then that, between 1901 and 1915:
a) the Mitcham Road south of Tooting railway station to Tamworth Farm was renamed London Road; and
b) Robinson Lane was renamed part of Swain’s Lane and the house numbers were changed to suit.
Swains Lane was later renamed Swains Road.
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.