Road off east side of Streatham Road, north of Graham Road.
Built in the late 19th century on land previously occupied by The Willows, described by Eric Montague in his book Mitcham Histories : 2 North Mitcham, page 74, as having
extensive stabling, farmery, meadows and gardens
. The roads Graham Road, Elmfield Avenue and Fernlea Road were also built in this land. The address “Graham Avenue, Willows Estate” was used in this auction ad from 1889:
Almost without reserve. Tooting Junction. Within a few minutes of the railway station and easy distance of Mitcham Junction, from whence there is an excellent service of trains to London Bridge, Ludgate Hill, or Victoria. For Occupation or Investment.
Messrs. FURZE ALDRIDGE Will Sell by Auction at the Mart, Tokenhouse Yard, E.C.. Tuesday, June 4th, Twelve for One o’clock, THE DETACHED FREEHOLD RESIDENCES situate and being Nos. 43 and 75, Graham Avenue, Willows Estate, Mitcham, near Tooting Junction, detached, double-fronted, and most conveniently planned on two floors only ; they occupy a choice position and are close to shops, &c. contain on first floor four bedrooms, bath room (hot and cold) water, w.c.; the ground floor dining room and elegant drawing room, 26-ft. long, large kitchen and scullery, and other domestic conveniences ; large garden front and rear; wide sideway. At present in hand, but of the estimated rental value of £50 per annum each. May be viewed by order of the Auctioneers. Particulars and conditions of sale obtained of Messrs. Heather Sons, Solicitors, 17, Paternoster Row, E.C.; and of the Auctioneers their Offices, Railway Bridge, High-road, Streatham, at Norwood Junction and Thornton Heath.
Source: Croydon Advertiser and East Surrey Reporter – Saturday 01 June 1889 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)
The 1915 street directory lists the occupants in the order encountered when walking from Figgs Marsh to Fernlea Road. The house names are in brackets.
from Figg’s marsh
Mrs Munday (Russellton)
Mrs Page (Glenfield)
Frederick George Taylor (Roseneath)
Clemence William Benger (Woodbine)
Alfred Shott (Edgemont)
William Court (Wardown)
Allan Reed (Woodside)
William Frederick Wontner (Fairlawn)
James Henry Ellis (Melita)
Walter Wilson (Elm cottage)
Miss Marlow (Shirley)
John Gray (Homeland)
George Arthur Cramp (Mayville)
Miss Hunt (Oakdene)
Charles Kendall (Stoneleigh)
Ernest Charles Newton (Cyril villa)
… here is Elmfield Avenue
Frederick Moon (Lynton)
Frederick Holmesworth (Ashley)
John Newson (Sunnyside)
Thomas Gordon Richards (Cloveley)
Edward Hagon (Primrose)
Percy Babb (Pevensey)
The 1891 street directory:
from Figg’s marsh
Mrs Freeman (Glenfield)
F.G. Taylor (Roseneath)
Charles Frderick Woodward (The Elms)
Mrs Noble (Fairlawn)
World War 1 Connections
Private Ernest Newsom
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.