Named after Daniel Defoe’s Robinson Crusoe and his alleged residence at Tooting Old Hall.
Source: pages 33 to 36 Mitcham Histories: 2 North Mitcham, by E.N. Montague
There are two World War 2 bomb damage photos at Merton Memories.
After the war, temporary housing hutments were built near the junction with London Road. In 1954 the council sought to have them demolished
4th February 1954
Hutments to be demolished
Mitcham Council have applied to the Ministry of Housing and Local Government for approval of the proposed demolition of the curved asbestos hutments on land in Pitcairn Road, Tooting Junction, at the junction with London Road, “as and when they become vacant”.
On the site was built a block of flats called Pitcairn Court.
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.