Sir Richard Illingworth, chief baron of the Exchequer to Edward IV. In 1511 he directed to be buried at the ‘Lady Chapel’ in the church of Mitcham.
His son, also called Richard, lived at Hall Place.
The family owned a number of properties in Mitcham.
Source: Eric N Montague’s Mitcham Histories: 12 Church Street and Whitford Lane page 45
From the Surrey Coats of Arms:
ILLINGWORTH of Mitcham.
Arms: Argent a cross flory Gules between three escallops Sable.
From brasses in Mitcham Church to Richard Illingworth, (d.1511), and to Ralph Illingworth, (d.1572). (SAC xxx 94)
But at (SV1530), William Illingworth of Mitcham, is recorded, possibly in error, as bearing Argent a fess flory and counterflory Gules between
three escallops Sable. *
* Crest. Burke gives for Illingworth, of Surrey: Within a crescent Argent a cock crowing Sable. (BGA)