309 and 371 Church Road, Merton SW19
Borough of Mitcham List of Factories,
Town Clerk’s Department,
Available at Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.
Reference L2 (670) MIT
From Surrey History Centre:
The company was set up in 1894 by T W Palmer, R H Alderman and Alfred Botting, who found themselves unemployed when a company of fencing suppliers, for which they worked, had to close. All three were members of the Baptist Church in Victoria Road, Clapham.
Operating from a rented basement in Victoria Street, Westminster, the three men purchased and fixed themselves wire fencing, sailings and gates and very soon moved on to making their own iron standards, pillars and gates. By 1901 they were able to purchase a site in Merton which became known as the Merton Abbey Ironworks. The fencing business was eventually made into a separate company, called the Victoria Fencing Co Ltd, in 1919 and the original company branched out into steel constructional engineering projects of a wide variety. Among these were some of the pontoons used in the Mulberry Harbour Scheme for the D day landings in Normandy in 1945, the London County Council’s Hyde Park Corner Marble Arch development, the Elstree Film Studios, the Avonmouth oil boom, a power station at Dekhelia, Cyprus, Kingston upon Thames railway bridge, and various factories, iron stairways, railings and gates.
In 1966 the Greater London Council redevelopment plan included a proposal to reallocate land in Merton including the T W Palmer site, from industrial to residential purposes. In spite of objections raised this resulted in the compulsory purchase of the site and the closing down of the company and selling of plant in 1969.
Source: Surrey History Centre
Merton Memories Photos